F1 thread - 2019 Season

I think Lewis would have passed him had the opportunity had been there. I think I'm right in saying that he even said wasn't how he wanted to win, but having said that he certainly wasn't going to take any huge risks to do so.
I don't think Lewis will give a toss.
He'd rather win like that than finishing 2nd in an exhilarating race like any professional sportsman

The overhead view of the incident clearly showed Vettel turn the wheels to the right as Hamilton loomed large in his mirrors. It appeared to be a separate movement over and above the camber of the track bringing him naturally back on line. In my opinion, and more importantly the stewards opinion Vetell deliberately squeezed Hamilton towards the wall at racing speed in order to retain his place after he alone made a mistake.

When you watch the onboard shots from Hamilton it is a pretty clear case of Vettel doing a double movement to block him, when you see the onboard from Vettel you can see it was only a double movement because he wasn't in control and was still fighting to get it back. It's a very difficult thing that I think could have gone either way and the opposite party be very aggrieved. I do wonder though, if Ferrari should have told Vettel to let Hamilton through straight after the incident. I appreciate that bouncing your car across the grass is the exact opposite of gaining an advantage by leaving the track but the principal is kind of the same, had there been a wall there rather than the patch of grass then it would have been race over for Seb, the fact there wasnt and he was able to go over the grass meant he was able to leave the track and maintain his position.

The overhead view of the incident clearly showed Vettel turn the wheels to the right as Hamilton loomed large in his mirrors. It appeared to be a separate movement over and above the camber of the track bringing him naturally back on line. In my opinion, and more importantly the stewards opinion Vetell deliberately squeezed Hamilton towards the wall at racing speed in order to retain his place after he alone made a mistake.

It's not that the stewards viewed it as deliberate it's that it was viewed as unsafe

When you watch the onboard shots from Hamilton it is a pretty clear case of Vettel doing a double movement to block him, when you see the onboard from Vettel you can see it was only a double movement because he wasn't in control and was still fighting to get it back. It's a very difficult thing that I think could have gone either way and the opposite party be very aggrieved. I do wonder though, if Ferrari should have told Vettel to let Hamilton through straight after the incident. I appreciate that bouncing your car across the grass is the exact opposite of gaining an advantage by leaving the track but the principal is kind of the same, had there been a wall there rather than the patch of grass then it would have been race over for Seb, the fact there wasnt and he was able to go over the grass meant he was able to leave the track and maintain his position.

I genuinely can't see it, his wheel was all over the place. I think he did somewhat well to keep it out of the wall in that situation

I disagree with the Stewards as did the ex drivers commentating on Sky.
The ex driver on Sky never likes penalties and I respect his view. The ex driver(s) that are paid Stewards disagree and it’s their responsibility to ensure the rules are adhered to on grounds on both safety and sporting merit.

Seb made a mistake, left the track and gained an advantage by stopping Lewis overtaking. In doing so, he also made Lewis slam on the brakes and nearly steer into the wall to avoid him, hence it was an unsafe track re-entry.

The ex driver on Sky never likes penalties and I respect his view. The ex driver(s) that are paid Stewards disagree and it’s their responsibility to ensure the rules are adhered to on grounds on both safety and sporting merit.

Seb made a mistake, left the track and gained an advantage by stopping Lewis overtaking. In doing so, he also made Lewis slam on the brakes and nearly steer into the wall to avoid him, hence it was an unsafe track re-entry.

I felt they were being a bit more nuanced than that, saying that according to the rules it was the right decision, but querying whether the rule was right in the first place. I've forgotten who it was, but someone on there was saying it was a 60/40 decision, and should be respected either way it went, which seemed a reasonable argument to me.

I do find it interesting the amount of ex drivers that came out and said they didn't feel it warranted a penalty.
I keep hopping from one side to the other

I felt they were being a bit more nuanced than that, saying that according to the rules it was the right decision, but querying whether the rule was right in the first place. I've forgotten who it was, but someone on there was saying it was a 60/40 decision, and should be respected either way it went, which seemed a reasonable argument to me.

That was Toto Wolff, I think. Possible that others also said it.

And yes, they were more nuanced.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.