Knee replacement and airport security

I had a total knee replacement a few months ago, and have just been on my first overseas holiday since then.
The metal in my knee set off the security buzzer and I was taken aside, virtually given a strip search, emptied my pockets (passport & credit cards left carelessly lying around by jobsworths), shoes were removed and X-rayed, I was patted down, groped in effect, had a device passed over every part of my anatomy, during which time the security tray containing coat, rucksack, plus other personal items, was left unguarded at the end of the belt (fortunately the Mrs looked after it).

It was a horrible experience. Does anyone know - is this going to happen for the rest of my life? I'm off again in a few months and not looking forward to the airport experience.

Please reassure me.Someone else must have had similar.
Next time, hop toward the scanner on your good leg and poke your new knee leg through until the buzzer sounds. Then sort of do it in reverse so that the last thing to go through is your new knee leg whereby the scanner has not gone off until your metal knee sets off the anal probe alarm. Bit of luck you can convince them not to strip search you.
Good luck and please get your missus to video the "loon dance" so we can all see how you get on.

It can be anyone, in my experience. Not just the UK, either. I had just arrived in the US and was waiting in line for passport control and it was a slow process. I had taken to (subconsciously) lightly support myself using one of the rope supports when one of these numpties approached from out of my view and took a swipe at my hand - not even a word. I think some of them have an inferiority complex and this unchallengable power they have temporarily emboldens them to treat passengers poorly out of some perverse pleasure. They're a weird bunch.
Generally little or no formal qualifications and low pay in the USA for that job. Not all bad, but it does attract the odd power hungry idiot, and some of them have guns....

Read the title and thought this was a new money-making initiative by Manchester Airport to get one done while you're waiting in the queue.

Get your leg amputated and put your replacement leg through the hand baggage scanner and hop through.

No need to thank me.

But sometimes, security ppl are really nasty deliberately. My missus went to Leeds airport to catch a 6am flight.. Deciding not to risk falling asleep at home ( we had been working hard decorating) she went very early, about 4am. Knowing that there would be no facilities, she took a packet of scones and a bag of sweets. Despite her protests, these were confiscated. I complained. The airport were unable to tell me: why they did this, what happened to the food (give you one guess), whether confiscated goods were logged. They must know if there is a log ffs but they were adament that they didn't know ! Conclusion: security thought it would be fun to bully an elderly woman and were thieving twunts. Never got a whiff of apology.

Same thing happened to me with a chain saw blade and a tub of clotted cream. Managed to get through the first check but the woman, who apparantly was expelled from the Gestapo for cruelty got me. The chain saw blade I can sort of understand but clotted fucking cream. It's got a higher fat content than butter and I could have taken butter through...

I had a new hip four years ago
Happens at every airport now.
Doesn't bother me.
The newer scanners show them more clearly apparently so I tell them before I go through.

I have 10 inches of surgical steel and 9 screws in my shin since 1974 and it has never set of the alarms, I have travelled a hell of a lot and been through many scanners

I had a total knee replacement a few months ago, and have just been on my first overseas holiday since then.
The metal in my knee set off the security buzzer and I was taken aside, virtually given a strip search, emptied my pockets (passport & credit cards left carelessly lying around by jobsworths), shoes were removed and X-rayed, I was patted down, groped in effect, had a device passed over every part of my anatomy, during which time the security tray containing coat, rucksack, plus other personal items, was left unguarded at the end of the belt (fortunately the Mrs looked after it).

It was a horrible experience. Does anyone know - is this going to happen for the rest of my life? I'm off again in a few months and not looking forward to the airport experience.

Please reassure me.Someone else must have had similar.
I had rods put in my spine and was told by the surgeon these would probably set off the detectors at airports so he did a letter for me explaining this , only had a problem once when flying home from the states but they were ok with me after awhile.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.