Knee replacement and airport security

I had a total knee replacement a few months ago, and have just been on my first overseas holiday since then.
The metal in my knee set off the security buzzer and I was taken aside, virtually given a strip search, emptied my pockets (passport & credit cards left carelessly lying around by jobsworths), shoes were removed and X-rayed, I was patted down, groped in effect, had a device passed over every part of my anatomy, during which time the security tray containing coat, rucksack, plus other personal items, was left unguarded at the end of the belt (fortunately the Mrs looked after it).

It was a horrible experience. Does anyone know - is this going to happen for the rest of my life? I'm off again in a few months and not looking forward to the airport experience.

Please reassure me.Someone else must have had similar.

My wife gets this everytime she goes through security, mainly due to her walking stick and syringes. It's not the detector going off but the jobsworth you mentioned.

A letter will do you no good,
I popped over the Welsh boarder with my knees and was given the total strip and the shepherds finger.

Have a good holiday!

I think you're pissing in the wind mate, a letter? Ever since 9/11 we're living in a different world.

Don't listen to BlueCorby, he lives in Corby
Better than the sheep shagging village you lived in haha

Letter always worked for me .

We managed to get the tickets for the baseball game just need the football tickets now

This is my area of expertise, apologies if it goes on a bit.
Firstly, your experience will vary depending on where you're flying from. The UK has more stringent measures than the rest of Europe, the US are pretty strict too although I'm not all that familiar with their processes. All UK airports should pretty much be the same as set by the DfT although each one will have their own local standard operation.

A lot of what the OP describes is general procedure when someone sets off the metal detector archway. Some of it is less than ideal I understand but is the way of the world now unfortunately. Any metallic activation of the archway means you're sent to the body scanner and normally asked for your shoes to come off and x-rayed. All your items are removed as the body scanner is used to detect layers/concealed items so you're asked to empty your pockets.

My advice would be, if you know your metal knee/hip/whatever is going to set the archway off, then take your shoes off at the point where you put your belongings through the x-ray belt and empty your pockets there too. Just put any valuables like wallets, credit cards in your bag or jacket so they're not in plain sight on the other side.

The good news for the OP is the metal detector archway will be phased out over time as the body scanner technology improves. They really want everyone to go through a body scanner but the time it would take probably prevents this. I imagine eventually everyone will walk through a scanner without having to stand still and that will be it, probably still a bit off with that technology though.

As for other points raised - yes, the searches can feel invasive but there is a standard that has to be met and it is thorough, you can thank people like the underpants bomber for that.

Being separated from your stuff is a pain but a bit unavoidable, until you and your belongings are security screened you're viewed as 'dirty'. If you're waiting in the body scanner but you're stuff is sitting in the clear you can't interact with it until you are 'clean'. There will be CCTV pointed at the trays where they are collected and like I said, put any valuables in your bag so it's not clearly in sight for someone to dip their hand in.

As for the staff, you can be unfortunate and have someone being a dick to you but in my exoerience the vast majority are polite and carry out their job professionally, although I have observed one or two and shook my head in amazement.

You can be asked to remove your shoes on a random basis.

Oh yeah, having a doctor's letter for your knee means nothing, don't bother with that.

I haven't had a knee replacement or any surgery involving metal, but I set these detectors off on a regular basis, I've got to the point where I don't wait for them to tell me to remove shoes etc
I flew out of Manchester in April, went through the body scanner they weren't happy had the old pat down after that they scanned me with the hand held detector and they were focusing on the lower part of my right leg, which I thought was strange, asked me to lift my trouser leg but only the right side then more scanning with hand held scanner, I said to the Mrs I'm sure they were taking the piss

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.