Etihad Campus, Stadium and Collar Site Development Thread

The problem with the traffic is because as you say Marvin that they have narrow the roads to make room for cycle lanes, which I don't see why they have done that. Just last week I counted more cyclists using the pavement to ride on then on the road. The Lord Mayors of Manchester and Greater Manchester need to get their act together, and get some plans together to ease the traffic flow. This might mean getting those companies who run the busses and the trams to get them to put on more transport. Maybe even provide a fleet of buses, and bring the transport in house.

The issue with the buses can easily be solved by providing Alan Touring way with bus lanes, both ways. The bus lanes only need to be from Oldham Road to say either Ashton New Road 0r to Ashton Old Road. Then find somewhere for the buses to park and then at the final whistle let them park on Alan Touring way and when full of they go.

When the south stand expansion was being built I was talking to someone who was in McDonalds who showed me the plans for the new South Stand, and then said the North stand would be expanded in 2yrs time guess that went by the board. With more clubs now taking their capacity to over 60,000, it is now time to get the North stand expanded as soon as possible. I would like to see the North Stand expanded so that the capacity would go to somewhere around the 65,000 or maybe to 70,000. If this could be done. The club could then maybe for a season keep the cost of tickets the same as the previous season.
They've done it because there is zero transport budget so the only way to release gridlock in manchester is to improve public transport at the expense of the car. I love what they have done on the Oxford Rd corridor. It suits me, but it's at the expense of cars. They want people to migrate from cars to other modes of transport. It works if you live in Manchester, but it might be short termist because I have noticed a lot less shoppers in Manchester. That maybe down to other effects though i.e. the Internet where stuff comes to you rather you go to town.

The problem with the traffic is because as you say Marvin that they have narrow the roads to make room for cycle lanes, which I don't see why they have done that. Just last week I counted more cyclists using the pavement to ride on then on the road. The Lord Mayors of Manchester and Greater Manchester need to get their act together, and get some plans together to ease the traffic flow. This might mean getting those companies who run the busses and the trams to get them to put on more transport. Maybe even provide a fleet of buses, and bring the transport in house.

The issue with the buses can easily be solved by providing Alan Touring way with bus lanes, both ways. The bus lanes only need to be from Oldham Road to say either Ashton New Road 0r to Ashton Old Road. Then find somewhere for the buses to park and then at the final whistle let them park on Alan Touring way and when full of they go.

When the south stand expansion was being built I was talking to someone who was in McDonalds who showed me the plans for the new South Stand, and then said the North stand would be expanded in 2yrs time guess that went by the board. With more clubs now taking their capacity to over 60,000, it is now time to get the North stand expanded as soon as possible. I would like to see the North Stand expanded so that the capacity would go to somewhere around the 65,000 or maybe to 70,000. If this could be done. The club could then maybe for a season keep the cost of tickets the same as the previous season.
There's a new transport hub mooted for Sandhills at Collyhurst, which is only about 1.5 miles away as the crow flies. This would give quick access to the tram lines going to Bury and Oldham/Rochdale and relieve pressure off trams going through Piccadilly. On the maps it looks like almost a straight walk there if they can build some access steps off the canal, but also there's a lane at the side of the gasometer which is fenced off at the moment at the end. Would be a great place to park up buses to shuttle people there and back. Opening this lane also would mean better exits for supporters instead of straight onto ATW so potentially better traffic flow at the fire station junction.

If true, nothing confirmed, as we all know, this and other factors could explain the delay in any concrete news and proposals coming forward for the Etihad Campus, Collar site and East. Anchester.

And to be fair to Mr Sharkey, what ADUG and City want for East Manchester, they normally get. So if they see a 20,000 indoor arena as part of the Masterplan for the area, the city council won't fight that, considering the hundreds of millions ADUG have invested in East Manchester.

Personally I think Mr Sharkey is looking after his companies own interests in the MEN Arena. Because I think Manchester can sustain to 20,000 indoor arenas. There are enough acts in the World to keep both arenas going every year. You just have to look at the acts that play the Etihad, and both Old Trafford grounds.

MUEN.

https://www.manchestereveningnews.c...ews/one-venues-going-fail-manchester-16414492

Last edited by a moderator:
If true, nothing confirmed, as we all know, this and other factors could explain the delay in any concrete news and proposals coming forward for the Etihad Campus, Collar site and East. Anchester.

And to be fair to Mr Sharkey, what ADUG and City want for East Manchester, they normally get. So if they see a 20,000 indoor arena as part of the Masterplan for the area, the city council won't fight that, considering the hundreds of millions ADUG have invested in East Manchester.

Personally I think Mr Sharkey is looking after his companies own interests in the MEN Arena. Because I think Manchester can sustain to 20,000 indoor arenas. There are enough acts in the World to keep both arenas going every year. You just have to look at the acts that play the Etihad, and both Old Trafford grounds.

MUEN.

https://www.manchestereveningnews.c...ews/one-venues-going-fail-manchester-16414492

Sounds like he's being a bit short sighted too. Manchester is a growing city and demand will increase over the next few years. There's no reason we can't have two indoor arenas as well as the stadiums as you pointed out. ADUG and Manchester Council won't want to stand still in the development of the city and the surrounding areas.

Sounds like he's being a bit short sighted too. Manchester is a growing city and demand will increase over the next few years. There's no reason we can't have two indoor arenas as well as the stadiums as you pointed out. ADUG and Manchester Council won't want to stand still in the development of the city and the surrounding areas.
Not short sighted, just greedy.

More than enough demand and acts to support 2 Arenas, and competition is very healthy.

One big problem is that the trains finish too early at night matches to use a lot of park and ride facilities. For example the last train to Horwich Parkway goes before the match ends. Northern Rail is beyond a joke. It's easy to get around the central core of Manchester using public transport but not easy to get in from outer areas. It's amazing how easy it is to get in and out of Wembley via Wembley Stadium Station, much easier than the Etihad.

Electrification on the Bolton to Preston line has finally finished so the last service to Horwich Parkway from Man Picc is now 11.30pm.

35240004-7-E00-4-E5-A-B32-C-6-ABB49-DB6316.jpg

Slightly off topic. But relevant. Great Ancoats Street is having a major refurb. This is what it will eventually look like all the way along it. Obviously this will cause more traffic disruption. Looks good though. :-)

175-F3-FD2-625-C-4-B73-A3-DA-0-C8-EA7501-D8-C.jpg
Why is it always sunny on an architects impression? After all it's Manchester. Should be cloudy with people struggling through sideways rain and a spice head or two lying around to make it more realistic

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.