Generation rent

Instead of sitting around eating out every night and then vegetating in front of Netflix, these young professionals should swallow their pride and work for their dream. Those evenings would be better spent dealing in piccadilly gdns or giving 5 quid bj's down chorlton St. A few years of graft and they'd soon have a deposit for one of @worsleyweb flats. No get up and go this millennial generation.

5 quid !! The woman has been overcharging me, I am going to see my lawyer on Monday morning.

On the continent, most normal people rent. Only the well-off own their houses in many counties like Greece Spain Netherlands...

I am no financial expert, but I have said for a while now that within 20 years there will be some sort of black hole in regards to property ownership between the 18-45 demographic and because of it something will surely have to give in regards to property prices because the number wanting to buy houses will outweigh the number owning them yet, yet the ones wanting to buy cannot afford to do so.

Having said that, I do also think the millennial generation will likely end up being the largest group to inherit property.

It's interesting that there is such a huge emphasis on home ownership in the UK when in comparison to a country like Germany it's only just over 50% if I recall. The rental market over there is huge and very much commonplace.

On the continent, most normal people rent. Only the well-off own their houses in many counties like Greece Spain Netherlands...

I find it fascinating how a country like Spain has a 78.2% home ownership rate (higher than the UK) yet it's unemployment rate is 13.9%.

I accept BTL is one reason but surely the main reason is simple demand. Back in the 70's everyone lived at home with mum and dad until they got married. The couple then bought their own home and lived together for 60 years. Now everyone moves out as soon as they can, usually to a flat, they get married or live together and when they divorce they both need a house/flat, throw in an ever increasing population and the demand forces the prices up.

I also remember back in the 80's the media used to bang on about how it was daft to tie up all your money in property, we should be like Germany where 75% rent. Now that 75% are renting the media and everyone else is moaning.

It's pointless comparing Germany to UK renting. Germany is a highly structured, organised and controlled whereas over here it's a free for all mess.

People owning multiple properties are the root of the problem..............

lack of properties are the problem.

people owning more than on property and profiteering from that ownership is a symptom. it feeds back into the system, but if we had enough housing it would fade away.

the exception is london, which is an international city. the reintroduction of large scale, but integrated, social housing would solve that problem.

I’m sure many don’t want to be paying such high rent, but how can they be expected to save at least 20k you really need to move out nowadays ?
I was lucky my wife had savings when I met her and able to get on the mortgage ladder otherwise I’d still be trapped renting with having little to save.
Understand the answer is to build more homes but in some parts, especially down here in the south east it is gridlocked.

Do think there should be a cap on how many homes someone can buy.

Oxfordshire is virtually empty.
Build there.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.