Expectations For Next Season (2019/20)

The league has to be the priority. If we do manage to win it, it will equal the record of three wins on the run and only be the 5th time in English football history it's been done.

Nobody can argue that we are and we will be remembered as a great team.

I've only skimmed the last few pages but jesus...
Talk about pessimism.
We have an aging squad and Liverpool are only going to get better?
No Kompany, and Sane destroying the dressing room if he doesn't leave?
David Silva will need a zimmer frame, and Fernandinho will need to borrow it?

So Liverpool don't have any problems?
Milner is just a spring chicken. Salah never loses form and won't be attracted elsewhere?
They only had two competitions to concentrate on and still couldn't win the league.
We did a domestic treble, got 98 points and still beat Liverpool in the league.

Just forget all of the above. We will be strengthening.
Sane wasn't first choice on the team sheet. Kompany wasn't really even in the team apart from the last few games.
We have Bernardo to cover for David. Jesus can and will only get better.

We also have a new signing for this season we didn't have last season.....DE BRUYNE!

Given the fixture list, i believe we, ll have a bit of an extra edge to complete the hatrick. 1 of 2 domestic cups and an improvement in UCL, possibly a new approach to go about things.

of course to win everything would be nice.
PL title for me.
Then a sensible approach to one game at a time in the other competitions is my way of thinking.
Win what we can without sacrificing the league in any way, but...

What do our owners want?
If I'm not mistaken, our Owners bought this club for CL success and brought Pep in to further that agenda.
So that may play a role.

League and CL. Really want the CL, firstly because we have never won it, secondly it would mean so much to the players eg David Silva and Aguero. Thirdly it would shut up Stretford and Dippers

If you think us winning the CL once would shut up Rags and Scousers then you don't know many of them ;-)

I've never much cared for the CL but would love to win it this year for Dave, Sergio, Ferna, Pep and the owners.

Premier League still #1 priority for me though.

I can’t see it happening because Pep seems to want to win win win but I wish more youth could be given a chance, in order to stop the pattern of excellent young players leaving us.

Pep argued that we’d done everything possible to persuade Brahim and Jadon to stay, but obviously, what was missing was game time.
I think Pep wants to win every trophy, maybe to be the first to get all 5, but surely we can attempt this and still give game time to younger players. Giving them game time to keep them with us is important in the progression of our squad for the next few years, but I fear Pep is only really interested in the here and now, in his own personal success, and not making decisions that are really in the longer term interests of our club.

In cup games against significantly weaker teams we could give game time to 4-6 younger players on rotation alongside back up first team players with an example line up of:
MURIC
DANILO
ZINCHENKO
SANDLER
OTAMENDI
GOMES
GUNDOGAN
FODEN
MAHREZ
JESUS
POVEDA

In premier league games against bottom quarter teams, particularly at home we could give game time to 1-2 youth players alongside 1st choice players and back up players with an example line up of:
EDERSON
WALKER
STONES
SANDLER
MENDY
FERNANDINHO
KDB
FODEN
MAHREZ
AGUERO
JESUS

This would give first team players more chance to be match fit and firing for bigger games and give the younger players a chance and a belief that they can break through. I’d rather win 2-0 against burton Albion, giving youth players a chance, then 9-0 with players who later in the season lose in a champions league 1/4 final because we’re not quite on it. We might not set another goal scoring record, but I’d have sacrificed that too to have Sancho and Díaz on the edge of our XI now.

I’d rather we focussed our first XI on winning the premier league and Champions league, keeping them at an elite level of fitness for those matches and trusting the youth players in the cups. But my fear is that our switch to having performance related contracts, means we can’t rotate this much anymore, and the first XI want to play in every game to end up walking home with the salary that they feel they deserve or they could go and get it elsewhere.

Last edited:

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.