The NHS Appreciation Thread

Just returned to Boston after a flight from Manchester via New York...
This time last week I was packing to fly to Manchesrer on the Sunday with a funeral in mind.....
My 85 year old mum - who is very active and physically fit - had caught sepsis and pneumonia and had fluid on her lung and was in intensive care. With her permission they put her into a sleep to ease her pain and allow her body to recuperate.... This lasted 4/5 days when my brother contacted me to say the end was nigh and her organs were shutting down as a result of the extremely high oxygen intake she was receiving....
So I fly over and land Monday to find my mum awake-ish and asking me what was I doing there.....
By Wednesday she was off all tubes and eating solids.... But the hospital wanted to move her to another hospital purely as the other hospital would do physio work with her that this hospital didnt do. They just needed to wait for a bed.
My mum was too impatient in waiting for physio and set about exploring the ward via her zimmer frame. So much so that on Friday the hospital discharged her citing that she didnt need physio work!
The grim reaper had been hanging around last weekend but my mum told him to well and truely fuck off.

Through this all the staff at the hospital were magnificant...... A credit to the NHS.....
Any Tory twat voting to sell off the NHS should be hung..... It is so valuable and a fantastic thing the UK has....
Thanks again to the wonderful staff at the NHS.
Glad your mum's ok, nice one. The NHS do a fantastic job and I'm so proud my eldest daughter is a district nurse... Good job you didn't play your mum Morrissey or the grim reaper may have took her there n' then mate; )

Good news about your Mum.

Had personal use of the NHS myself the last few years. Mam had a massive stroke and was in Fairfield for 6 months before eventually she left us 6 months after the stroke. The staff there were brilliant with her and the family too.

During that time I managed to jump off a wall at Chirk castle and broke my leg. Straight into Wrexham general. I was on holiday the week it happened and as the hospital couldn't do the OP for 2 weeks they tried to organise transport to James Cook in Teesside where we now live. This was the only bother as due to cuts Wrexham and Teesside were arguing over costs of the transport. I just rang the Mrs who came for me and I discharged myself. Wasnt the guys on the front line fault, it's all those damn Managers and administrators they have to answer to. Wrexham staff were brilliant with me.

Off to Teesside and had the OP done in a week. 2 plates and 14 screws later I was off home and hobbling onto trains to go and see my Mam and her last days. If it wasnt for the staff and surgeons skill at James Cook I wouldn't have been able to do that, so massive thanks to them.

One of my exes is a HCA in Wigan and she sees a huge about of waste in the NHS. I'm a Construction Project Manager and when she tells me how much they pay for similar works that I do in the private sector it's scary. My step daughter is at Teesside uni now training to be a nurse. To her it's not a job but a vocation shes always wanted to do it. I've seen that first hand with the guys who are on the front line. More power to em I say, they are all brilliant

Last edited:
The NHS does a magnificent job considering how thinly its services are spread.
Treatment is the prime objective staying true to its original "Free to All" heritage which may be the reason it is often abused.

Via the European Card other countries offer emergency treatment free but any follow up treatment must be paid for or return to your own country for it.
Now that seems fair to me so perhaps a similar system would benefit the NHS.

This time last week I was packing to fly to Manchesrer on the Sunday with a funeral in mind.....
My 85 year old mum - who is very active and physically fit - had caught sepsis and pneumonia and had fluid on her lung and was in intensive care. With her permission they put her into a sleep to ease her pain and allow her body to recuperate.... This lasted 4/5 days when my brother contacted me to say the end was nigh and her organs were shutting down as a result of the extremely high oxygen intake she was receiving....
So I fly over and land Monday to find my mum awake-ish and asking me what was I doing there.....
By Wednesday she was off all tubes and eating solids.... But the hospital wanted to move her to another hospital purely as the other hospital would do physio work with her that this hospital didnt do. They just needed to wait for a bed.
My mum was too impatient in waiting for physio and set about exploring the ward via her zimmer frame. So much so that on Friday the hospital discharged her citing that she didnt need physio work!
The grim reaper had been hanging around last weekend but my mum told him to well and truely fuck off.

Through this all the staff at the hospital were magnificant...... A credit to the NHS.....
Any Tory twat voting to sell off the NHS should be hung..... It is so valuable and a fantastic thing the UK has....

Just come across this, a Very uplifting post to start the week.
Glad everything went well for your Mum.
You must be feeling a million dollars at the moment, not taking the cost of flights in to consideration!
Good luck.

Brilliant post and good on yer mum. Totally on board with the need to fight like fuck for our NHS, if they Tory bastards try and turn it into an American type system.

I loved the “what are you doing here?”

Class. Hats off to your mum.

The NHS does a magnificent job considering how thinly its services are spread.
Treatment is the prime objective staying true to its original "Free to All" heritage which may be the reason it is often abused.

Via the European Card other countries offer emergency treatment free but any follow up treatment must be paid for or return to your own country for it.
Now that seems fair to me so perhaps a similar system would benefit the NHS.

It isn't free at the point of service except in emergencies to non EU nationals Who are not UK residents.
What makes you think EHIC follow up treatment is not the same here as in other countries.

It isn't free at the point of service except in emergencies to non EU nationals Who are not UK residents.
What makes you think EHIC follow up treatment is not the same here as in other countries.
I was under the impression that if treatment occured after emergency care then payment asked for after this extra care has taken place.
Other EU countries simply do not give non emergency treatment until a payment vehicle is produced. Apologies if this is incorrect.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.