Joao Cancelo

Status
Not open for further replies.
That isn't a back 3. That's the positions players get in when the ball is in certain zones.

We don't play a forward 7 at corners, for instance.
That isn't a back 3. That's the positions players get in when the ball is in certain zones.

We don't play a forward 7 at corners, for instance.

I know what your saying but I was speaking in simplistic terms. The reference to the position of players in certain zones makes no difference to what the average fan which I am will see with their own eyes when one or two of the full backs moves into an inverted position in the midfield.

I don't think I indicated that City forming a back 3 was a static formation nor that City would hold this shape throughout the game leaving City to play a front 7 at corners.
Further the length of time City tend to have the ball often that 3 becomes a 2, subject to what your saying about zones of course.
Take note at 1min 19

I agree, although I can't see any scenario where we play 3 out and out centre backs. Against Liverpool, it might be Laporte, Stones and Walker as a back 3 with Cancelo on the right. Walker's pace would be very useful in that scenario.

Otherwise a back 3 would be made up with Walker/LB/DM adding to the 2 centre backs.

Well our 2 cbs play midfield quite a lot anyhow.

If we sign Rodri then in theory we have two midfield players in the squad who can drop back into a 3.

I could also imagine Angelino playing in front of a left back on occasion IF he takes to the Prem & Zinchenko in midfield.

The signings we are rumoured to be making, quietly improve the squad by some way, provided they can hack it.

Well our 2 cbs play midfield quite a lot anyhow.

If we sign Rodri then in theory we have two midfield players in the squad who can drop back into a 3.

I could also imagine Angelino playing in front of a left back on occasion IF he takes to the Prem & Zinchenko in midfield.

The signings we are rumoured to be making, quietly improve the squad by some way, provided they can hack it.

That's exactly why I see us playing 1 recognised centre back more than 3. Our CBs play in midfield half the game. Why not have proper midfielders in there that can defend when needed? Better than defenders that try to be midfielders.

I see Cancelo as the forward thinking RB we need to break down low block 10 behind the ball teams. Walker would be used against teams with pace up front or have any attacking intent.

If we sign Cancelo and Angelino (not forgetting Mendy when fit), I could easily see us playing 3 at the back at times. They are far more effective going forward than defensively, so it wouldn't really be like playing 5 defenders at all. Our CBs are all comfortable enough on the ball that they could step into midfield as and when required.

That's exactly why I see us playing 1 recognised centre back more than 3. Our CBs play in midfield half the game. Why not have proper midfielders in there that can defend when needed? Better than defenders that try to be midfielders.

I see Cancelo as the forward thinking RB we need to break down low block 10 behind the ball teams. Walker would be used against teams with pace up front or have any attacking intent.

I think it really depends on the opposition. Against Liverpool I can see us playing 3 CB's with Laporte as LB. Not only because of the threat of Salah, but the way Liverpool attack. They transition quickly and the wingers come inside. Then TTA and Robertson create the width with good crosses. Our far side full backs need to defend these balls.

I think it really depends on the opposition. Against Liverpool I can see us playing 3 CB's with Laporte as LB. Not only because of the threat of Salah, but the way Liverpool attack. They transition quickly and the wingers come inside. Then TTA and Robertson create the width with good crosses. Our far side full backs need to defend these balls.

I agree that is possible. It still isn't playing 3 centre backs though. It's playing 2 centre backs with a third as a tucked in left back.

I agree that is possible. It still isn't playing 3 centre backs though. It's playing 2 centre backs with a third as a tucked in left back.

There seems to be confusion what your'e taking about. 3 recognized Cb's (Laporte, Ota and Stones) or 3 at the back. If you are thinking 5 defenders with Mendy, Laporte, Ota, Stones and Cancelo then it may not happen as often, but I think it's still a possibility. We haven't played this formation much I think because of Mendy's absence. He's a flying wingback who can put in good crosses and cause overload problems for the opposition. Zinch and Delph aren't as good as wingbacks. Also Walker on the other side isn't a wingback. Cancelo is good at attacking and he's not the best defender so it's still more of an attacking line up where the 3 CB's, Dinho and either fullback would be the 5 to defend while the other 5 attack. We still could play this if Pep wants 2 strikers in the box. I wouldn't rule anything out.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.