Let's talk about corners

I remember saying in 1988 that we were crap at corners and it was a waste of effort even taking them, we might as well just hand the ball over for a goal kick.

Some things never change.

I did like the comment from someone on here recently that the best tactic the opposition could use to prevent City from scoring is to just keep constantly conceding corners to us!

Last edited:
We score more goals than any team in Europe year in year out, but I have to say our corner to goals ratio is shocking I have no idea how many corners we have but must be 200 plus and I think we have only scored maybe 3-5 directly from a corner, we clearly don't practise corners, why.
I had a feeling something bad was gonna happen v spurs because we never looked liked scoring from one,whilst struggling to defend them

I agree.
Corners are a rather high risk, high reward proposition. Teams who fully commit to them tend to eat a lot more goals from resulting counterattacks.
For all the "risk" Pep demands with the ball at our feet, he seems absolutely risk adverse with situations that involve second balls, sheer luck and potential counterattacks.
Situations like corners... It's not our main strenght so why risk the exposure?
This is reflected in how we set up but also in how the corners themselves are taken.
Virtually none of our corners are at the backpost because they can be caught by the keeper or easily headed away into the opposition feet. Potentially starting a counterattack.
Short corners or corners towards the front post are a much lower risk for counterattacks so that is why you see us taking that route more often than not.
Another perceived benefit to the front post corners could be that you are forcing the opposition to try and counter from a less favourable position. (The side of the pitch the corner originated from...)
This makes it much easier for us to instantly win the ball back and cause havoc.
Don't have the numbers but we do seem to score a lot of goals from the secondary phase after a corner is headed away.
LOL. Just guessing here. I don't know what Pep and staff actually think. But it's fun trying to figure it all out... ;-)
one of the best teams on the planet and we may be playing corners in a way to prevent counter attacks? wow
what I do know is that when we don't play a short corner nearly half don't make it over the first defender for easy clearances and allowing no chance whatsoever.
corners are not high risk, played remotely correct with one or two backs hanging back.

Dose anyone remember when under Roberto Mancini we were scoring from corners quite a lot. perhaps we should bring him back as a coach for corners to try and improve us on that score. When was the last time that we scored from a corner in the league I cannot remember.
during those times the corners were getting over the defenders to a little either side of the pen.spot, a little to far out for the keeper and a nice place to attack forward to.

I read somewhere this week that Liverpool have scored 22 goals from set-pieces which is more than any other side. That sounds to me like it must be in all competitions. I don't know where City stand in relation to them but I have the distinct impression that we are not as effective. Can we be? Sides have different characteristics. We are not a powerful side, we are a very technical side,
a lot of those must be pens. If we got the ones that should have rightfully been given we would surely be higher up that list.

I would be very happy if we could score from every 4/5 corners that we get during a game. If we did this I am quite sure that we would go the whole season unbeaten. While scoring at least another 20/30 goals in the process.

I would be very happy if we could score from every 4/5 corners that we get during a game. If we did this I am quite sure that we would go the whole season unbeaten. While scoring at least another 20/30 goals in the process.

if you could get a team to score a goal from every 4 or 5 corners, you'd currently be the best paid football manager on the planet :D

i think your expectations are a little high. I think in the Premier League, teams score a goal between 1 and 3 in a hundred corners

Corners are dying out apparently, tactics have changed, number of goals scored is getting fewer and fewer, the short corner is out most productive apparently, Pep prefers them, he also prefers inswingers and there too we were most productive last season.... In fact, Pre Pep we scored 1/81 and now we're at 1/35, one of the best on the league. The worst.... Spurs and Utd :)

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.