Kalidou Koulibaly

We are not a youth team, our model is to buy young before they hit their peak/highest value but it isn’t something we have to stick to religiously. For the right guy we will make exceptions. Fernandinho signed as a 28 year old that turned out alright. We have stones and Laporte for the next decade, Garcia coming up behind him, we need ready proven world class talent to replace the proven world class talent we’ve just lost. you have to balance the present and the future and experience is key to that.

We need a leader at the back, last season before Kompany came into the side, we had a period where we looked a bit unorganised and looked as though we could be got at, then Kompany steps in with his experience and leadership and we instantly turn into a side that only needed to score once as we knew we wouldn’t concede, we have to bring that in with whoever replaces Kompany as nobody else has that to the level we require. I don’t know if this guy does have that, that’s what our scouts are for but from the bits I’ve seen of him it looks as though he does.

As for the price, City won’t be afraid to pay it if they deem it value, we seemingly don’t want to pay £80 million for Maguire not because of the figure itself, but because he isnt one of the best defenders around and that’s what we would be expecting for that kind of money, it doesn’t mean we won’t pay that or more for somebody that is though.

There's risk associated to every signing? There always will be. When Liverpool signed VVD they had similar risk too?

My entire post was about how Van Dijk was much lower risk than Koulibaly....why not read it before replying?

It would save me repeating everything about him already being familiar with premier league, already very settled in England, already fluent in English etc. etc.

Raiola isnt De Ligts agent. Hes an intermediary helping his agent with this transfer.

Ok fine, i've seen people say that so I probably shouldn't have worded it that way. My point still stands though. An agent of that ilk has been brought in for a reason and it wouldn't surprise me if he sticks around after that or is brought back in when needed. I don't think you can buy players aged around 20 these days and talk as though you're going to own them for the next 10 years without some significant further investment in them. I'm not saying it's not worth it, my point is just that a player who has only just turned 28 and is at their peak doesn't necessarily represent terrible value compared to a younger player.

If we're serious about pushing for the Champions League then I think that this is the single most important signing we could make. I'd say that he has been the best defender in the world over the past three seasons. If Leicester are not backing down on their demands for Maguire, and the club are considering spending 75m on him (which is doubtful), then I'd contend that it makes perfect sense to spend just a little bit more and bring in the real deal. Still don't think it'll happen though. AFAIK, Napoli have rejected enormous offers for him in the past.

Impossible to take any comment that starts with "age is irrelevant" seriously.

If you're investing £85m in an asset, age is very fucking relevant, espeically in a defender with exceptional pace being one of his stand out qualities.

If you spend 85m on Koulibaly and he's not a success, over 30 years old you will not see any meaningful amount of that money again.
If you spend it on a 21 year old, you can still recoup 30-50% after 3 mediocre years.

How old was Mangala when we signed him? Not sure we are getting 30-50% of his original fee back.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.