VAR (PL introduction 2019)

So offside by 1mm is a clear and obvious mistake is it? If you’re happy with that then fair play but I think we’re better agreeing to disagree on this one.
I agree with you thinking.
It was brought in to correct ‘clear and obvious’ errors made by the officials.
Not to get right down to the atom’s width of an offside decision

Me too. I’ve just watched the France one properly from last night. There were people shouting their mouths off saying stop winging as it was the right decision. It’s one of my bug bares when keepers are two/three yards off their line when saving pens but the Nigeria keeper was literally half a step off it. What are you meant to do stay static now? I’m sorry but that would not have happened if the score was not what it was. Then there was the encroachment by the France players. I wouldn’t want a retake for that but surely you can’t have one without the other? If every tiny thing is now going to be pulled up then how it’s being implemented at the moment all that will happen now is
1) there’ll be loads of penalties and re taken penalties every game
2) goals ruled out for millimetres of offsides (clear and obvious mistakes???)
3) stop start stop start
4) time won’t be added on at the end
5) no one at the ground has a clue what’s going on
6) the passion and elation of a goal will disappear altogether, especially if you are at the game

I hope to god it gets better because it’s here to stay now, but I won’t be paying 45 quid a week to go to something that is no longer the game I’ve always loved, and 99% of the old farts I go with feel exactly the same.
The only way forward for me is each team having a review or maybe 2 per game. But I can’t see that happening. Maybe I’ll just hide under a rock for a few years until it hopefully sorts itself out :(((
Just seen that France penalty one.
Wow.
When the kick is taken by the French (host country) girl, the goalie has her left foot in mid-air just hovering over the line.
The France player totally misses the goal with her shot, ball out for a goal-kick.
Whoa! VAR infringement. Ref obviously gets told to have a look at the girl stood off the line.
Keeper also gets booked and kick re-awarded.
Next kick? She's about 3 feet off the line but the host country score. Carry on please!

Last edited:
I'm not suggesting we stop for every little thing and I am not actual sure who has. I am telling you that off-side(as per original post) does not come under 'clear and obvious' as its a fact

However, if a player pushes another, it should be given as a penalty. Why wouldn't it be. Similar with encroachment, it is against the laws of the game. I'm not sure what the issue is - there is an issue with implementation but will come as it evolves and referees get more experienced
We can have an epistemological debate about whether offside is a question of fact or not, but let’s say we all agree that offside is a fact. The problem is the technology is not yet in place to make a factual call. Goal line technology uses software to simulate what has just happened and the call is made as a matter of fact, and not an individual’s judgement. Same in tennis.

And that’s what we need for offside. Until that’s in place, the ‘clear & obvious error’ criterion should apply to these decisions.

Absolutely ridiculous to see off side decisions given due to the attacker having his foot or hand millimeters offside.

The advantage should always be given to the attacker so if any part of his body is onside then the decision should be onside, seems logical to me.

Long way to go before VAR can be trusted by fans.

Once was assistant ref in a pre season game reffed by one Michael Oliver. His instructions re penalties were that if the player missed the target he would not have a re take even if the keeper was 3 foot off the line. Be interesting to see if this now applies next season.

surppprise.gif

The look on Engen's face is brilliant.

Think how many decades we’ve allowed Goalies to come off their line on penalty’s, unbelievable. Well done VAR !

Think how many decades we’ve allowed Goalies to come off their line on penalty’s, unbelievable. Well done VAR !
Fuck off.

May as well give the goal right away when you award a penalty if 'keeper's are to act like lampposts.

Utter shite and still ambiguous, hopefully it'll be fucked off soon enough when folk realise it doesn't actually address the problems within officiating.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.