VAR (PL introduction 2019)

According to the BBC, The Premier League will not use video assistant referees in 2019-20 to rule on goalkeepers moving off their line to save a penalty. The Professional Game Match Officials Board (PGMOL) will leave such decisions to on-field officials.
If this is true it makes the game more of a farce in that the laws are being applied differently in every competition. If you have VAR then it should be applied consistently throughout not as and when someone fancies it...

Yep, outstandingly idiotic to not apply the same rules.

Having said that, I think the PL are intending to apply a different VAR logic anyway, and thus no English VAR refs can do VAR at European level.

Whilst I was aware of the rule regarding two touches, i was thinking at the time that I don’t recall ever seeing that happen, which can’t be true. Players kicking the ball onto their own leg seems to be a more common occurrence than hitting the post and putting in the rebound, at least in my memory it is.

I don't recall it before, but it is the same at any restart of play {apart form maybe a dropball) - you can't play the ball twice in a row.

VAR ruling on pens and keepers coming of the line is a joke and rightly the premier league are going to leave it alone for now ???

i would like to know the proper ruling on pens and the yards from the spot to the line ?? because every player takes the outer edge of the spot when placing the ball ?? its not on the spot but hangs over ??? is the marking from the center of the spot the rule to the goal line ?? somebody must take this up with the rules makers and make the spot smaller or make the player place the whole of the ball on the spot ?? if the keepers have to stay on the line then the ball has to be fully on the spot

Said for years we should scrap the penalty kick. Any foul or hand ball that happens that prevents a CERTAIN goal should simply result in a penalty goal being awarded, much as is seen in Rugby.

Any other routine foul or ball to hand in the area should be a direct free kick, even if it's that close the defending team has to put it's defenders on it's own goal line.

It will stop players being tempted to dive, as the reward is simply a free kick, and also stop the award of penalties for ridiculous ball to hand scenarios where tricky players will from this season look to square up defenders before flicking the ball to the arms.

In short, other than circumstances like Suarez for Uruguay v Ghana in the World Cup some years ago, I have seen few hand balls that have genuinely stopped the ball as it was about to enter the net. Even in that example of clear cheating a penalty did not recompense for the denied goal as it was subsequently missed.

According to the BBC, The Premier League will not use video assistant referees in 2019-20 to rule on goalkeepers moving off their line to save a penalty. The Professional Game Match Officials Board (PGMOL) will leave such decisions to on-field officials.
If this is true it makes the game more of a farce in that the laws are being applied differently in every competition. If you have VAR then it should be applied consistently throughout not as and when someone fancies it...

PGMOL likely sense this rule is a real hornets’ nest, especially when it comes to penalty kicks after extra time, and one that needs to be rethought.

Said for years we should scrap the penalty kick. Any foul or hand ball that happens that prevents a CERTAIN goal should simply result in a penalty goal being awarded, much as is seen in Rugby.

Any other routine foul or ball to hand in the area should be a direct free kick, even if it's that close the defending team has to put it's defenders on it's own goal line.

It will stop players being tempted to dive, as the reward is simply a free kick, and also stop the award of penalties for ridiculous ball to hand scenarios where tricky players will from this season look to square up defenders before flicking the ball to the arms.

In short, other than circumstances like Suarez for Uruguay v Ghana in the World Cup some years ago, I have seen few hand balls that have genuinely stopped the ball as it was about to enter the net. Even in that example of clear cheating a penalty did not recompense for the denied goal as it was subsequently missed.
Excellent idea and it will work a lot better than what is being put in place.

Can’t believe some are complaining that VAR is too harsh when a player is marginally offside or when a keeper marginally comes off there line - shall we just say goals should be given if it’s a few millimetres near the line

Can’t believe some are complaining that VAR is too harsh when a player is marginally offside or when a keeper marginally comes off there line - shall we just say goals should be given if it’s a few millimetres near the line
How is VAR not tripe with marginal offsides when it's solely "in line" with the last defender's foot?

It’s actually worse than I thought it would be. The game will be unrecognisable in 5 years if it continues in this vain.
Only enjoyed by the likes of our happy hammer, Mark who quite clearly struggles with the emotional side of the game. (Which happens to have been the main reason it’s the biggest sport in the world)

Well without VAR - it’s constant uproar, moaning and debates about farcical decisions by the referee. Is that the emotion you mean ?

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.