Is Pep the greatest?

Check the first division tables from then, its quite eye opening, lots of ridiculous scores.

3223, 325, and 344 were common formations, even 2323, all geared to attacking, we've certainly seen Pep play a 244 in some games.

We often play a "Pep" version of 2323, at least when attacking, with the FB's alongside a DM, and 2 AM's behind 3 forwards.
He loves the 2-3, 3-2 W-M formation as well that we see quite a lot with Bernardo on the wing, tactics from back in that era were fascinating, the catenaccio and percentages phases did a lot of damage to football as a sport imo as did offside and away goals and we're lucky we had the likes of Michels, Cruyff, Sacchi, (tbf to them) Ferguson, Wenger and Guardiola to turn it around and then to a lesser extent Klopp although he'll always get found out in the long run as did Wenger (although a lot of that lads decline was at board level and due to his background).

He loves the 2-3, 3-2 W-M formation as well that we see quite a lot with Bernardo on the wing, tactics from back in that era were fascinating, the catenaccio and percentages phases did a lot of damage to football as a sport imo as did offside and away goals and we're lucky we had the likes of Michels, Cruyff, Sacchi, (tbf to them) Ferguson, Wenger and Guardiola to turn it around and then to a lesser extent Klopp although he'll always get found out in the long run as did Wenger (although a lot of that lads decline was at board level and due to his background).
I'd love to know if he has studied that period of english football, or produced his own version at City, my feeling is its own version, but it in many ways it mimics that period because it works so well, it certainly differs from how he played at barca and bayern

I'd love to know if he has studied that period of english football, or produced his own version at City, my feeling is its own version, but it in many ways it mimics that period because it works so well, it certainly differs from how he played at barca and bayern
There's a link between that era of English football and the Ajax school, actually a Manc lad that kicked it off at Ajax, his name escapes me at the moment though tbh, apologies. But even if Guardiola hasn't studied that era of football in England he's definitely been influenced by it through that channel as Michels and Cruyff were.

Jack Reynolds was the lads name.

There's a link between that era of English football and the Ajax school, actually a Manc lad that kicked it off at Ajax, his name escapes me at the moment though tbh, apologies. But even if Guardiola hasn't studied that era of football in England he's definitely been influenced by it through that channel as Michels and Cruyff were.
I didn't know that, but it adds up, I guess his attacking philosophy fits that era well though, thankfully I think we defend better than most did in that era (even if the pundits still think we "can be got at".

I didn't know that, but it adds up, I guess his attacking philosophy fits that era well though, thankfully I think we defend better than most did in that era (even if the pundits still think we "can be got at".
Yep, definitely today the tactics are sounder defensively, even from the attacking school. But tbf they've had 80-90 years of evolution and it's fascinating to look back through it and see how and why they evolved.

Great read that, thanks.
No bother mate, always a pleasure to talk to someone else with a real interest in the history of the game. Should be mandatory for any football fan as it's a privilege to learn about those times.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.