Harry Maguire

Status
Not open for further replies.
Couldn’t agree more. I simply don’t think he’s good enough.

I am jumping right on this band wagon not quite as much as not wanting Benjani and Crocky Santa Cruz but all the same really do not want this to go through.

If he was a foreign defender, scored in the WC and was part of a team that got to the semi-final, I’d suggest people on this board would be demanded sign him

He’s a proven international, knows the league, transfer fee and wages are inline with club policy so it will be a good signing. No guarantees, of course, but he’s got a more than even chance of being a success

There is no quota, only max numbers and the key one is 17 foreign players, having up to 5 HG i.e. English trained players has never been an issue. We have never really had 5 first choice English players - there tends to always be at least 1 or 2 squad players on that list.

If we buy Harry it is because he is good enough, the fact he doesn't take up one of the 17 foreign spots is a bonus. We are not under the kind of pressure we had a few years back when the squad was to big. That is why i'm minded to think the club must think he is good enough. I have my doubts as most do but the squad is thin and he is young and seems consistent. I can see it being a good move.

His homegrown status is not a bonus it’s the key to our interest. If he was foreign we simply would not be able to sign him and keep our current squad intact (assuming Rodri or an alternative comes in) he’s only attainable as a homegrown player because the only expendable player is Delph, and so any replacement for him has to have the same homegrown status.

Would we be in for him if there was no squad restrictions? Almost certainly not, he’s nowhere near the best around but those rules are in place, every club has to deal with them and it’s about finding the best solution.

If he comes, I think he will be a very expensive stop gap but will serve his purpose. Like a less important lescott, the fee will be seen as extortionate but we will get value from him. He isn’t going to be here for a decade, in a few years time the squad will have changed a bit with older players leaving, the likes of dinho, silva Aguero and crucially bravo. hopefully we will have brought through a few more academy players to either replace those or bolster the squad and ease the value of those 17 foreign spots. we will then have a bit more wiggle room, if/when that happens we won’t have to make do and can find the very best but until then these kind of signings are necessary

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.