United thread 2019/20

Status
Not open for further replies.
I was reading something before, and was surprised (it was before my time), to read that in the 71/72 season the rags had to play their first 2 home games away from the swamp, because of hooliganism the previous season. Apparently knives had been thrown into the away section, these 2 home games were played at anfield and the victoria ground. A bit curious I thought I'd see who they played so went to the 71/72 season wiki page. One thing that struck me was the biggest crowd they played in front of all season was 63,300 at Maine Road for the Derby, other than that about 55k was the 2nd highest home or away. Small club, no fans.....Yeah right!

Article about the United home game at Anfield: https://www.theguardian.com/sport/blog/2010/mar/17/manchester-united-home-anfield-1971

Late 60s and early 70s our highest home gate of the season at Maine Rd was always 60,000+.

Magical atmospheres for those games but a different culture back then when there was a big difference between highest and lowest gate of the season. Take the best supporters in the world down the East Lancs: 73/4 highest gate at Anfield as champions was 56,003 and lowest 21,656.

Agree. Thinking back though. Bruce /Pallister / Ince / Wallace / Leighton / Anderson / McClair . They could beat anyone with those players. Luckily we never met them.

Yep and no club cried about the fees and rightly so! They are 2 faced K@NTS like most of the media.

Article about the United home game at Anfield: https://www.theguardian.com/sport/blog/2010/mar/17/manchester-united-home-anfield-1971

Late 60s and early 70s our highest home gate of the season at Maine Rd was always 60,000+.

Magical atmospheres for those games but a different culture back then when there was a big difference between highest and lowest gate of the season. Take the best supporters in the world down the East Lancs: 73/4 highest gate at Anfield as champions was 56,003 and lowest 21,656.

Thanks for that mate.

The gift that keeps on giving, they look like the Harlem Globetrotters

Imagine having the money they do and actually choosing to look like that? Must be a sad world for them when they don’t have anybody around them to tell them they look like absolute twats. At least they’re doing good on and off the pitch though in making it an embarrassment to support Manchester United. As academy graduates and local lads, They’re representing the very embodiment of Manchester United. Wow.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.