Harry Maguire

Status
Not open for further replies.
That's a fair point, but also it must be remembered that we do have other players under the age of 21 who should be ready to step up in certain instances such as the Carabao Cup. Foden springs to mind. Last year Claudio Gomes, Felix Nmecha, Eric Garcia and Adria Bernabe all played. Hopefully they will all be that little bit stronger this season and more should be able to fulfil the role they played last year. Taylor Richards, Jeremie Frimpong, Alpha Dionkou and Taylor Harwood-Bellis could, in my opinion, all step up this season. Maybe we will also be blessed with better luck injury wise - De Bruyne and Mendy especially.

Happy to proved wrong on this but the fact we haven’t seen a lot of him at the age of 22 one reason why I don’t think he will make it here. I don’t think you are a prospect after 20/21.

If you aren’t playing at 22/23 then you should be looking at elsewhere. And from what I have seen I can’t see him breaking in this year. I dare say Garcia is ahead of him in the pecking order.

He only arrived last summer (from a club where he was playing every game) and had an injury which put him out until January. Zinchenko took until February 2019 to look like anything except a last ditch option, with 6 months training and a full pre-season under his belt, Sandler could very well be a similar case.

Ederson 1
Bravo/Other guy 2
Grimshaw HG & CT

Walker HG
Cancelo 3

Stones HG
Laporte 4
CB #3 17 / HG
Garcia U21

Mendy 5
Angelino HG & CT
Zinchenko 6

Fernandinho 7
Rodri 8

KDB 9
Silva 10
Foden U21
Gundogan 11
Bernardo 12

Sané 13
Sterling HG
Mahrez 14
Jesus 15
Aguero 16

How the squad shapes up with 23. Red for overseas/foreign players, Green for association Home grown and blue for club trained/u21.

At least 2 players for every position, 3 at LB and Keeper.

It really doesn't matter if the 3rd CB is foreigner #17 or the 4th HG player. I suppose it might matter to Phillip Sandler actually...but the point is we don't need the other CB to be HG - if we get Maguire it's not because of his nationality.

Ederson 1
Bravo/Other guy 2
Grimshaw HG & CT

Walker HG
Cancelo 3

Stones HG
Laporte 4
CB #3 17 / HG
Garcia U21

Mendy 5
Angelino HG & CT
Zinchenko 6

Fernandinho 7
Rodri 8

KDB 9
Silva 10
Foden U21
Gundogan 11
Bernardo 12

Sané 13
Sterling HG
Mahrez 14
Jesus 15
Aguero 16

How the squad shapes up with 23. Red for overseas/foreign players, Green for association Home grown and blue for club trained/u21.

It really doesn't matter if the 3rd CB is foreigner #17 or the 4th HG player. I suppose it might matter to Phillip Sandler actually...but the point is we don't need the other CB to be HG - if we get Maguire it's not because of his nationality.

Hey, that's a foul! You don't even mention Otamendi, Danilo and Delph! ;-)
Good overview though.

Rodri in means -> full squad (17 foreign and 4 home grown, plus U21 or club trained)

Any further changes:
Cancelo in means -> Danilo out.
Maguire in means -> Delph out.
Riesgo in means -> only 1 of Riesgo and Bravo in the squad.
Ota out means -> Sandler could stay OR 1 foreign spot is FREE.

Ederson 1
Bravo/Other guy 2
Grimshaw HG & CT

Walker HG
Cancelo 3

Stones HG
Laporte 4
CB #3 17 / HG
Garcia U21

Mendy 5
Angelino HG & CT
Zinchenko 6

Fernandinho 7
Rodri 8

KDB 9
Silva 10
Foden U21
Gundogan 11
Bernardo 12

Sané 13
Sterling HG
Mahrez 14
Jesus 15
Aguero 16

I recall Pep used 3-5-2 quite a bit before Mendy's injury. He may have plans to revisit that set up with Cancelo and Angelino reportedly on their way. If we set up like below we might not even need another CB and we'd be very very solid:

Aguero Sterling/Jesus
Mendy Bernardo De Bruyne Cancelo
Rodrigo
Laporte Stones Fernandinho
Ederson​

We don't need a 25 man squad, and actually I don't think Pep wants one. He prefers a higher quality smaller squad.

17 foreigners, Stones, Sterling, Walker Angelino & Foden is 22, more than enough.
Yep, plus Garcia and it's definitely enough.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.