My 15 Greatest Beers Of All Time

King and Barnes Old Ale (No longer available)
Brickwoods Bitter (No longer available)
Adnams Bitter (But only in Norfolk and Suffolk, tastes like piss up here due to sparklers on pumps.)
Boddingtons Bitter. (No longer available, but the old Manchester-brewed version, well-kept, was superb.)
Harveys Sussex Bitter (Recommended for anyone visiting Brighton or Sussex.)
Butcombe Bitter. (Gorgeous stuff.)
Holts Bitter. (When kept by a landlord who cleans his pipes more than once a year.)
Holts Mild (If you can find a cask version, and if well kept.)
Thwaites Mild. (See above. Nowadays as rare as rocking-horse shit.)
Timothy Taylor's Golden Best.
Robinson's Old Tom. (On draught. Quite rare and mainly a winter drink.)

A lot depends on where and how you drink it.

For example, Tanglefoot in cans is nothing to write home about, but my word a pint of Tanglefoot from a good pub anywhere near Blandford Forum (where the brewery is) is an absolutely beltingly good pint.

Ditto 6x (or any Wadworths beer for that matter) and ditto Green King's Abbot. Wadworths in particular is meh from a can and not much to write home about from your random pub. But from a pub anywhere near Devizes? Absolute nectar.

For example, Tanglefoot in cans is nothing to write home about, but my word a pint of Tanglefoot from a good pub anywhere near Blandford Forum (where the brewery is) is an absolutely beltingly good pint.

Ditto 6x (or any Wadworths beer for that matter) and ditto Green King's Abbot. Wadworths in particular is meh from a can and not much to write home about from your random pub. But from a pub anywhere near Devizes? Absolute nectar.

This is very true. A lot of beer does not travel. In fact, it can taste bloody awful 200 miles from where it is brewed. But get a good pint in a good pub somewhere near the brewery and it's another story.

On a vaguely related note, I shall tell the tale of Greenalls, or Greenall Whitley as it once was. My youthful experience of this stuff was that it was bloody foul. But then I found a pub in rural Cheshire where it was simply divine - believe it or not.

The brewery was in a cramped site and they did not store beer there for very long. It was sent out "green". The landlord of the pub I am talking about used to keep in the cellar for a fortnight before serving it. That's why it tasted so good. Most places just bunged it straight on!

6x is a cracking beer one of my favourite, most Adnams beers are good as well. Hook Norton do a really good bitter along with there old hooky.
A local brewery down here is the pot belly brewery most of there beers are good in particular there best bitter.

Wiehenerstephan (hefeweiss)
Afligem tripel 9%
Leffe blond, brune and radieuse
Grimbergen.
Budvar
Summer lightening 5%
A PROPERLY poured Guinness. In this country, it's made from a syrup in any case, so it's just topped up with the local water.

If you're feeling brave
Merrydown/Lowenbrau snakebite. I pity your bog in the morning, though

Yankee from Rooster Brewery
Timmy Taylor's Landlord
Black Sheep
Blond Witch
Golden Pippin from Copper Dragon brewery
Deuchars IPA
Butty Bach HPA
Butty Bach Golden Ale
Pint from Marble Brewery
Lagonda from Marble Brewery
Pale Rider - I think it's from Kelham Island
Greene Kng IPA
Plum Porter from Titanic Brewery
Iceberg from Titanic Brewery
Jekyll from Hydes

Real Ale Twats

peroni-red-premium-italian-lager-beer-24-x-330-ml_temp.jpg

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.