Harry Maguire

Status
Not open for further replies.
I was thinking, if Leicester didn't have Maguire, could they afford to spend 60m on a CB? Probably not, so how can they afford not to sell one for that price?

However, you make some good points. If you can get 69m now, you can get 60m next season, so why not hold on to him for another season.

Does Maguire want the move though? That's the question.
The way the market is moving It's quite likely £69m becomes £79m... he's under a long contract so there is no pressure there. The market is insane and we could all be sat here next summer saying Maguire would have been a bargain at £69m, after Man U panic and sign Ake for £62m at Christmas.

For the money quoted I'd prefer Tah or Elvedi over Maguire all day long. Obviously though one of those two would only happen if Nico or another foreign player leaves.

I dint see any way Nico stays if we buy another CB so it's all redundant IMO.

If he was unhappy with his game time last season, why would he stay after we replaced Vinny with Harry Maguire for 80m?

I was thinking, if Leicester didn't have Maguire, could they afford to spend 60m on a CB? Probably not, so how can they afford not to sell one for that price?

It's about the risk, we might not spend £60m on one... but we could end up spending £30m each on two trying to replace him. We already spent £45m on two last summer in an attempt to make sure we had backup if he went and so far neither are up to scratch.

The reality is it's a struggle to get good replacements. It's a big risk signing from abroad and as I said earlier we'd end up paying £40m for Lewis Dunk... so you might as well stick with what you've got as long as you can.

We'll cash in, when the timing is right though. We're talking about billionaires, who are spunking millions on horses every week. A few million here or there on a player doesn't matter, they just want to do well.

@foxedup
What are your thoughts on Maguire as a player? Do you think he’s good enough for City? Strengths and weaknesses? Does his lack of mobility cost you guys or could it be a problem for us playing such a high line?

Sorry I sound like a copper with all the questions. Just interested from a Leicester fans perspective. Cheers.

Huge strength in the air, wins pretty much everything as his stats will show. Great on the ball, although I've thought he looks nervous for England, I'm not sure he feels completely at home yet in the team.

He's no slower than Kompany, so if you can win the league like you have this season then I'm sure he'd fit in.

Personally, I'm not sure we'd miss him terribly as I think any money gained would be better spent on a top class winger who would gain us more points than we'd lose by perhaps becoming a bit weaker at the back.

I dint see any way Nico stays if we buy another CB so it's all redundant IMO.

If he was unhappy with his game time last season, why would he stay after we replaced Vinny with Harry Maguire for 80m?

The CBs I'm referring to would be a Nico replacement though. Other than him and Danilo, there aren't any foreigners who are rumored to leave at the moment. And if Danilo leaves, he'll be replaced with Cancelo.

My point was that if we are out on Maguire then Nico could stay, but if he wants to leave then Tah or Elvedi would be a similar level of quality to Maguire but much younger.

Huge strength in the air, wins pretty much everything as his stats will show. Great on the ball, although I've thought he looks nervous for England, I'm not sure he feels completely at home yet in the team.

He's no slower than Kompany, so if you can win the league like you have this season then I'm sure he'd fit in.

Personally, I'm not sure we'd miss him terribly as I think any money gained would be better spent on a top class winger who would gain us more points than we'd lose by perhaps becoming a bit weaker at the back.
I’ve got to admit when I’ve seen him (for the full 90 minutes) it’s usually been for England and I’ve never been impressed especially with his short passing game, he seems to get the ball stuck between his feet on occasion and looks very nervous in possession. That said his long passing seems to be brilliant and 9/10 hits the right man.

Glad you’re more optimistic than I am if he does eventually sign or us, I guess like yourself I just think we could use the money far more wisely but who am I to judge. Thanks for your thoughts though, it’ll be interesting to see how it all materialises.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.