Arteta

Problem for internal candidates like Arteta is that he’s presently a part of the Pep ‘machine’ but when Pep leaves - he takes the machine with him - so Arteta would be left building from the ground up to replace not only Pep but all of his exceptional back room staff. I guess if Arteta is the chosen one - Pep et al and try and get him ready and start to build a team around him.
I think you hit the nail on the head. The choices should be based on the back room team that each manager fronts. Each manager is like the lead singer but it’s the band behind him that add the depth. The manager alone is just 1 dimension.

If Arteta is to take over then he should be forming his team now and the club should be analyzing them as a unit. The only way he can do that (unless Pep gifts him his team) is to go somewhere else and do it... Newcastle for example. So if he leaves and does ok I’d see him as more of and option than if he stays as is.

I don’t know who’s best out there but I have some (maybe blind) faith in our executives to make logical and not emotional decisions for the long term.

I am sure City have a succession plan in place already and at present Arteta must be in pole position. Wouldn't be surprised if he went to another club first to cut his teeth on a fixed contract like Pellegrini had when he came here and knew from the start that Pep was coming. Our club is now based on the Barcelona model so whoever comes in will have to work with the current template. I think most of the backroom staff will stay. All the CFG clubs are following the same philosophy. I also wouldn't be surprised if Pep remained with the CFG group in a more senior role until he takes an international job. He may even end up as England manager. These are incredible times to be a City fan.
Vinny's move home could be part of a succession plan,get experience under his belt then come back and take over.

Not sure about the idea of sticking rigidly to the Barcelona template, don't see any manager currently playing Guardiola style football and being successful to go along with it. The game has moved more towards physicality, intensity and sitting men behind the ball with fast transitions. The teams that contested the CL final play like that. I think if Arteta, Vieira or any inexperienced manager tried fielding a midfield trio like we've played under Guardiola you'd see games finishing 5-4, 5-5 etc. Even if they turned out to be good managers they'd still most likely be very pale imitations of Pep who is the one and only genius of this style of play.

I'd be interested to see what Simeone could do after Guardiola. Would command instant respect to let everyone know it's not time to slack off and has the same maniacal drive to improve his players. Sure he doesn't focus on positional play or exploring the half spaces or any of that nonsense, Klopp and Pochettino have shown you don't need any of that to do well in champions league.

Doubt it. He would have to be special to replace Pep with no managerial experience and if he truly is a mini pep in the making then he will surely be off proving his worth elsewhere long before it’s time to take the seat here. I’m sure it’s the plan but I wouldn’t expect it to happen. It’s more likely he goes elsewhere and comes back further down the line if he does well.

We need an allardyce or mourinho after Pep. Somebody who’s football is so shit that we can appreciate decent football again from the guy who comes after him.

I'd be interested to see what Simeone could do after Guardiola. Would command instant respect to let everyone know it's not time to slack off and has the same maniacal drive to improve his players. Sure he doesn't focus on positional play or exploring the half spaces or any of that nonsense, Klopp and Pochettino have shown you don't need any of that to do well in champions league.

Dear god.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.