Returning to Maine Road

Having lived all my childhood no more than half a mile away from the ground my first nursery and primary school were on the Kippax st car park my first time inside the ground was 1963 the damb place dominated my life. I can't and won't go back it would be far to much to take ; (

Sad! My grandad did a bit of singing in pubs including the Parkside, and met my Gran there. They then lived at 109 Lloyd Street just down the road and my Mum was born there in 1938. They then moved to 173 Horton Rd, and although they divorced when my Mum was 12 my Gran and my Grandad(new hubby when my Mum was 15) lived there, with my Gr gr Auntie who passed away in 1973, until the early 1980’s when they were no longer able to look after themselves. They rented from a private landlord all those years, and still had the original fixtures and fittings and the air aid shelter in the back yard! My Great Gran and Great Aunt lived next door at 175 and another Gr Aunt lived at 181 with her husband. Life revolved around City and in the early 70’s I’d stay during the school holidays so I could go watch City train at Maine Rd and collect autographs. Sometimes they trained on the car park, and if they trained on the pitch I’d sneak in the door they left open in the main stand and hope Stan Gibson wouldn’t throw me out. Such a happy childhood and happy memories made in and around Maine Rd that even now I sometimes go out of my way to drive around there, but it is tinged with a speck of sadness that it’s all so different now.
So let me get this right.
Aunt Edna lived at 109, Great uncle Billy was at 76 was it?

Wasn't there a competition for a piece sculpture on the site?
There was Vic. There was a competition to find the best words to be inscribed at the sight of the old centre spot.
A member of our SC won the comp and is the author of that inscription.
Can’t remember what it says but I remember him telling me the story.

I used to live in Fallowfield as a kid and walked to Maine Road.
Approaching the Kippax turnstiles, I went down a gap between the houses called (appropriately, in view of the dog-shit lying about) "No.2 Passage"
Anyone remember it?
Remember it very well Bud.I used to live at West Point (Levenshulme) & would cross the park, then onto Platt Lane past the old Co-op and a sharp left on Horton Rd into the Alley. Great memories (apart from the dog turd).

As far as i have seen the only bit left is part of the kippax perimeter wall

Think that’s gone now as well

The only way you’d know it used to be there is from the names of the roads such as blue moon way; And a plaque which marks the centre spot

Sad! My grandad did a bit of singing in pubs including the Parkside, and met my Gran there. They then lived at 109 Lloyd Street just down the road and my Mum was born there in 1938. They then moved to 173 Horton Rd, and although they divorced when my Mum was 12 my Gran and my Grandad(new hubby when my Mum was 15) lived there, with my Gr gr Auntie who passed away in 1973, until the early 1980’s when they were no longer able to look after themselves. They rented from a private landlord all those years, and still had the original fixtures and fittings and the air aid shelter in the back yard! My Great Gran and Great Aunt lived next door at 175 and another Gr Aunt lived at 181 with her husband. Life revolved around City and in the early 70’s I’d stay during the school holidays so I could go watch City train at Maine Rd and collect autographs. Sometimes they trained on the car park, and if they trained on the pitch I’d sneak in the door they left open in the main stand and hope Stan Gibson wouldn’t throw me out. Such a happy childhood and happy memories made in and around Maine Rd that even now I sometimes go out of my way to drive around there, but it is tinged with a speck of sadness that it’s all so different now.

That really does evoke a bygone era.

I keep telling myself that I've seen a lot of great football at the Etihad ... and (to be frank) watched a lot of painful rubbish & disappointment at Maine Road (certainly for the decade and a half after 1982) ... but I still miss the old place.

Not been past for ages but what saddened me most is that the Parkside is now apartments.

That pub was a huge part of the match day ritual (unless it was packed, then a few cans of stella from the off-licence over the road and we'd stand outside)

Always glance down Parkside Rd is when driving down the parkway with the expectation of seeing the arches of the Maine stand only to be disappointed ☹️

Move on, there is literally nothing to see !
I wouldnt call moving to leeds ...moving on.;)

As the OP clearly says,there is nothing but a feature-less housing estate there now but thats not the point..imo....... The 1st thingi did the day after we won the title in 2012 is return to Maine rd..had a look around Rawcliffe st where a very good friend and life long Blue used to live,had a couple of pints in The Albert, still the nearest pub to another life long Blue.( Big Paul Bevan will never move)....enjoyed a walk around Santiago street and immersed myself in memories...

When u say there is nothing to see...depends how good your imagination is...i loved my trip back.Will always be part of me

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.