Tribute to el mago 1st game of season

Could you give us the exact reference for that, mate? Missed that one, and I'm extremely interested. I'd pay money to watch that, although I don't particularly want to sign up to the whole package of BT Sport just for that one thing. Any way round it?
I honestly can't remember exactly what the series was called, but I think they did one for all clubs. I was just flicking through & saw one of the City matches & it was a fascinating insight into us in the 70s. I was immediately hooked on the rest of the series.

They bunched all the City game's together, and LFC, AFC, MUFC etc together too so, I didn't have to watch other clubs just waiting for City to come back on.

This was obviously pre-Sky Sports, but the games gave me a chance to look at my team through the eyes of a man, as opposed to a young man back then.

The series also illustrates how far football has moved on from the agricultural, hairy chested, perm sporting, medallion wearing, footballing He-Man days of the 70s. At times City were surprisingly slick, & very Guardiola-esque, at others we were nothing less than fuckin shocking, ESPECIALLY after Allison took over!

We were so powder puff, & slipped from challenging Liverpool every season, to flirting & then succumbing to relegation later. It's weird how it still pissed me off & sent me to bed in a bad mood after all these years! Lol :-)

I'd honestly say that Bell would struggle to get past Yaya, Silva, B Silva or KDB based on what I saw. The programmes were 30 minutes long (15 mins each half) & were well worth the late night watch.

I think these may be the matches. https://sport.bt.com/football/class...es-you-should-watch-this-week-S11364191373528

Last edited:
I honestly can't remember exactly what the series was called, but I think they did one for all clubs. I was just flicking through & saw one of the City matches & it was a fascinating insight into us in the 70s. I was immediately hooked on the rest of the series.

They bunched all the City game's together, and LFC, AFC, MUFC etc together too so, I didn't have to watch other clubs just waiting for City to come back on.

This was obviously pre-Sky Sports, but the games gave me a chance to look at my team through the eyes of a man, as opposed to a young man back then.

The series also illustrates how far football has moved on from the agricultural, hairy chested, perm sporting, medallion wearing, footballing He-Man days of the 70s. At times City were surprisingly slick, & very Guardiola-esque, at others we were nothing less than fuckin shocking, ESPECIALLY after Allison took over!

We were so powder puff, & slipped from challenging Liverpool every season, to flirting & then succumbing to relegation later. It's weird how it still pissed me off & sent me to bed in a bad mood after all these years! Lol :-)

I'd honestly say that Bell would struggle to get past Yaya, Silva, B Silva or KDB based on what I saw. The programmes were 30 minutes long (15 mins each half) & were well worth the late night watch.

I think these may be the matches. https://sport.bt.com/football/class...es-you-should-watch-this-week-S11364191373528

Many thanks.
Yes, I suspect that we may all be in the habit of looking back on the City of the seventies through rose-tinted (blue-tinted?) glasses. The running and general athleticism of the current team, the requirement for them to do a job all over the pitch, their speed of thought and execution — I've got a sneaking suspicion that hardly anyone from the seventies teams would get into this one, apart from Colin. A few might make the squad, hardly any would displace the current players in the starting line-up. This team is the nearest thing to a Cruyff team that England's ever seen (no coincidence). But what is absolutely flagrant when you see glimpses of those days is the disgraceful state of the pitches by about December, at the latest. Today, in 2019, they are like billiards tables on the final day of the season. It's like watching football at the Crucible. So it's always very difficult to judge. You had to play agricultural football on those pitches, up to a point, in the second half of the season.
But that is exactly why I'd like to see those matches back again, with a cool gaze.
As for Allison and Swales: well, they took City down from being a big, top four or five club right through the late sixties and the whole of the seventies, to being bit part players. It was almost a piece of industrial sabotage. We could still be in that dark place. Manchester thanks you, Sheik Mansour. Salford hates you.

I remember that magically display from merlin at Hull City away after Vinny got sent off, he scored a peach and ran the midfield even though we were down to 10 men, the guy is a true City legend.

What was also memorable about this game was that after Vinny got sent off our centre backs were Demichelis and Javi Garcia and they were brilliant, ran the best offside trap I've ever seen, must have got Hull atleast 7 or 8 times with it.

Many thanks.
Yes, I suspect that we may all be in the habit of looking back on the City of the seventies through rose-tinted (blue-tinted?) glasses. The running and general athleticism of the current team, the requirement for them to do a job all over the pitch, their speed of thought and execution — I've got a sneaking suspicion that hardly anyone from the seventies teams would get into this one, apart from Colin. A few might make the squad, hardly any would displace the current players in the starting line-up. This team is the nearest thing to a Cruyff team that England's ever seen (no coincidence). But what is absolutely flagrant when you see glimpses of those days is the disgraceful state of the pitches by about December, at the latest. Today, in 2019, they are like billiards tables on the final day of the season. It's like watching football at the Crucible. So it's always very difficult to judge. You had to play agricultural football on those pitches, up to a point, in the second half of the season.
But that is exactly why I'd like to see those matches back again, with a cool gaze.
As for Allison and Swales: well, they took City down from being a big, top four or five club right through the late sixties and the whole of the seventies, to being bit part players. It was almost a piece of industrial sabotage. We could still be in that dark place. Manchester thanks you, Sheik Mansour. Salford hates you.
Yup, many of those 70s pitches looked like they'd been ploughed by Old McDonald before the teams took too it. It was weird watching it all without the stress of not knowing the result.

There are even players I forgot we had like Ged Keegan! http://www.sporting-heroes.net/foot...gan-6804/biography-league-appearances_a11708/ It's a brilliant series & well worth a one month subscription to watch. I'm with Virgin so luckily I get all the BT Sport channels bundled.

What was also memorable about this game was that after Vinny got sent off our centre backs were Demichelis and Javi Garcia and they were brilliant, ran the best offside trap I've ever seen, must have got Hull atleast 7 or 8 times with it.
Didn't realise Benjani was playing for them back then!

I remember that magically display from merlin at Hull City away after Vinny got sent off, he scored a peach and ran the midfield even though we were down to 10 men, the guy is a true City legend.

People forget this because we lost, but Merlin was nothing short of huge in the second half of the game at Anfield that season, where he took it by the scruff of its neck. The scousers were shitting bricks until Vin made that miskick (I think because he was playing injured) that allowed them to win it. Until then, the second half had been pretty much one way traffic with David and Sergio leading the charge.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.