Tribute to el mago 1st game of season

That’s a bit awkward too because there is also a campaign for self governance of Gran Canaria.

However, the Gran Canaria flag and the proposed autonomous flag(s) both incorporate yellow and blue (no white as in Canary Islands flag) though I’m not so sure on what shades of blue and yellow would be most appropriate.
Get a life lad

I think today's more professional attitude makes the most difference. Players going to the pub straight after training, smoking 40 fags, washing the tar down with 10 pints, & having a chippy tea after is almost unheard of now.

I reckon many players would have been significantly improved had they been playing now, just the same as I reckon many of today's players would be significantly worse back then.

The pitches were also shocking. There was one match I saw with Burnley where the pitch looked like a battlefield after heavy shelling. With the heavier ball & boots, what they achieved is all the more staggering. :-)
Certainly Colin Bell was a natural athlete who would have thrived with modern fitness and coaching regimes. English football has really evolved in the past decade. It's a lot more skilful and fast-paced. I think even Ferguson's teams from the 90s would not be succesful these days. When you watch those old matches it's easy to see why the England team was a total failure during most of that period. Football in the UK went backwards during the late 70s and 80s.

Certainly Colin Bell was a natural athlete who would have thrived with modern fitness and coaching regimes. English football has really evolved in the past decade. It's a lot more skilful and fast-paced. I think even Ferguson's teams from the 90s would not be succesful these days. When you watch those old matches it's easy to see why the England team was a total failure during most of that period. Football in the UK went backwards during the late 70s and 80s.
Many didn't think the English game went backwards, & cited the European successes of Liverpool, Forest & Villa. However, I agree with you, some of the tactics used in those matches from the 70s were prehistoric. Lol :-)

It brings me to the argument about the effect foreign coaches & players have made... Managers called Bob were replaced by Roberto's. Alex's were replaced by Alexis & Pop became Pep.

Was it for the better or worse? Personally I think foreign involvement & ownership has made the PL the leading football competition it is. But what about foreign talent killing off local talent? Well this comes down to the coaching at youth level, rather than foreign youngsters being born better footballers.

My youngest went on a school trip to a seaside town which bordered Spain & Portugal. They played a football match against a Catalan school team, & I was pissing myself laughing when he told me, the opposition weren't interested in scoring, only keeping the ball.. (sound familiar?) :-)

He was saying they couldn't get the ball off them, so they practically gave up as they were knackered after spending the match chasing shadows!! Lol :-) Only City have carried this on fully in the English game, where the focus of our youth system is on skill, control, possession, an understanding of flexible, interchangeable tactics & not so much on winning trophies at all costs.

It would be great to see it, but who would dominate English football today? The all conquering Liverpool of the 70s & 80s? The all conquering ManUre side of the 90s & 2000s? Or the modern day Manchester City, treble winning Centurions?

Many didn't think the English game went backwards, & cited the European successes of Liverpool, Forest & Villa. However, I agree with you, some of the tactics used in those matches from the 70s were prehistoric. Lol :-)

It brings me to the argument about the effect foreign coaches & players have made... Managers called Bob were replaced by Roberto's. Alex's were replaced by Alexis & Pop became Pep.

Was it for the better or worse? Personally I think foreign involvement & ownership has made the PL the leading football competition it is. But what about foreign talent killing off local talent? Well this comes down to the coaching at youth level, rather than foreign youngsters being born better footballers.

My youngest went on a school trip to a seaside town which bordered Spain & Portugal. They played a football match against a Catalan school team, & I was pissing myself laughing when he told me, the opposition weren't interested in scoring, only keeping the ball.. (sound familiar?) :-)

He was saying they couldn't get the ball off them, so they practically gave up as they were knackered after spending the match chasing shadows!! Lol :-) Only City have carried this on fully in the English game, where the focus of our youth system is on skill, control, possession, an understanding of flexible, interchangeable tactics & not so much on winning trophies at all costs.

It would be great to see it, but who would dominate English football today? The all conquering Liverpool of the 70s & 80s? The all conquering ManUre side of the 90s & 2000s? Or the modern day Manchester City, treble winning Centurions?
I agree with you. I think English teams were dominant in Europe during a period when foreign clubs were going through a transition. During this period football was all about physical strength and defence. It was the era of hooliganism when grounds were half full across most of Europe and the football was dire to watch. By the time English clubs got back into Europe after Heysel the European teams had moved on, leaving us behind. We have only caught up because of the influence of foreign players and managers via the Premier League which has forced our coaching to improve. Even now you hear idiots like Sam Allardyce who really haven't got a clue what they are talking about. People like him helped to destroy English players for decades.

I agree with you. I think English teams were dominant in Europe during a period when foreign clubs were going through a transition. During this period football was all about physical strength and defence. It was the era of hooliganism when grounds were half full across most of Europe and the football was dire to watch. By the time English clubs got back into Europe after Heysel the European teams had moved on, leaving us behind. We have only caught up because of the influence of foreign players and managers via the Premier League which has forced our coaching to improve. Even now you hear idiots like Sam Allardyce who really haven't got a clue what they are talking about. People like him helped to destroy English players for decades.

There was only Italy that was ahead of England in the early 1990s as they had the money and all the superstars, and then the roles reversed.

The refereeing, pitches and law changes had the biggest effect, players get protection to allow them to play and no 'free hits' for defenders.

The likes of Allardyce & Redknapp sound more like Mike Bassett England Manager with every passing season.

The first time I recall seeing superior tactics at City was with the arrival of Mancini. It kind of went out the window somewhat with Pellegrini, but Pep has trumped the lot & proved attractive, attacking football can thrive in the UK.

It would be interesting to see how the mid 2000s ManUre team with Ferguson at the helm would fare in today's league. I doubt just having better players then everyone else would be enough any more.

City & Spurs ended the Sky 4 dominance & the PL has been all the better for it...

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.