Etihad Campus, Stadium and Collar Site Development Thread

I'm not going to get into a protracted argument of yes it is , no it isn't. Go and look on the 3rd viewer of the ground. The layout is not like that at all and the photos are post SS3 development. My response was to a statement that it has always been that way and it certainly hasn't. My eyes tell me it wasn't as ive been a SC holder for donkeys and the viewer backs that up. That's my last word on it thanks.

You asked if it was new.

The answer is no it has been like that for 4 years.

That pic I posted is when the Stand first opened. You can see this via the unfinished corners. The panels between stand and roof were put in place in October 2015.

Thanks.

web-new-stand-a78q9478.ashx

Last edited:
I built the building where 7 brothers and second city are housed. I agree partly with you on the smith arms but the shamrock is no great loss. The buildings built by Manchester life are fairly average I agree. Square is great though.

Love the puma in the seats - great addition.

They’re decent. My niece lived in one. The ones that look really poor are at the corner of George Leigh Street and Bengal Street.

Not been up long and look awful as they are fully rendered and it’s started to weather terribly.

Why do developers use render that needs high maintenance at height, therefore high cost? As a layman it makes no sense to me.

They’re decent. My niece lived in one. The ones that look really poor are at the corner of George Leigh Street and Bengal Street.

Not been up long and look awful as they are fully rendered and it’s started to weather terribly.

Why do developers use render that needs high maintenance at height, therefore high cost? As a layman it makes no sense to me.

i sit looking at that render about 50 hours a week! shameful that building.

as for the stadium - i strongly think we may hear something before the start of the season.

i sit looking at that render about 50 hours a week! shameful that building.

as for the stadium - i strongly think we may hear something before the start of the season.

That’s interesting... based on something you’ve heard or a hunch?

Many thanks for the replies re 1 Piccadilly. And would definitely agree that although the city centre looks better than it has for a while, much of the character of the old brick and stone type buildings seems to be going (not that I've been into central Manchester in years, so only going by appearances. It's a pity that not even one of the new buildings seems to have scored a stir as a design; where's the equivalent of the gherkin or the shard?
Now that I've taken the thread off topic I might as well keep going and the mods can hang me for a sheep instead of a lamb. In Bill Bryson's book about travelling around Britain ('Notes from a small island'?) he says about Manchester something along the lines of it has no clear centre, no heart. Basically, nowhere that is Manchester in one image. As soon as I read it I knew he was right and that I'd probably known that myself for a long time. Piccadilly gardens was probably as good as it got, but it wasn't anything much. The square in front of the town hall is probably it now, but neither of those came be called iconic.
Does anybody disagree? Are Bill and myself out of date and things have changed? Would a nice big plaza somewhere (maybe with something in it/around it) be a paradigm shift?

Had to laugh at this, a Manchester City centre review by a person who hasn't visited it for years.
The centre is fantastic, historically, and Architecturally . Fantastic museums, art, crafts, restaurants etc.
Unfortunately the outskirts, are a little worn.

I moved out nearly 40 years ago, but return to investigate what I took for granted as I grew up. World class City centre, with a few warts.

Had to laugh at this, a Manchester City centre review by a person who hasn't visited it for years.
The centre is fantastic, historically, and Architecturally . Fantastic museums, art, crafts, restaurants etc.
Unfortunately the outskirts, are a little worn.

I moved out nearly 40 years ago, but return to investigate what I took for granted as I grew up. World class City centre, with a few warts.

If you look at Spinningfields compared to what it looked like 15 years ago it’s impressive what they have done with it. I’ve enjoyed seeing Deansgate square come out of the ground the last couple of years, thought it was just two towers now it’s four and all the other building work that’s going on in the city centre.

Then you have to contrast of the older buildings we have round King street and we are lucky to have a beautiful town hall like we have. Will be even better when Albert square is fully pedestrianised and will have a feel of some of the squares you get on the continent.

I built the building where 7 brothers and second city are housed. I agree partly with you on the smith arms but the shamrock is no great loss. The buildings built by Manchester life are fairly average I agree. Square is great though.

Love the puma in the seats - great addition.
Had many Saturday night lock-ins in The Shamrock. It was one of the of the best pubs in Town.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.