"The Keeper"

I wouldn't be totally sure about that unless he was from a very Orthodox branch. My father-in-law used to tell anecdotes about the Orthodox who would not even switch a light or oven on during Saturday. They would listen to the radio on Saturday but would switch it on on Friday night! Much the same with cooking. The food for Saturday would be prepared on Friday and slow cooked overnight. Alexander Altmann was working for the Institute of Jewish Studies, presumably in London, by the time of the 1956 Final. He founded ithe Institute in 1953 and facilitated it to join University College London on his departure to Brandeis University in Massachusetts in 1959.

I noticed one or two inconsistencies. His first match was shown as being against Arsenal (a 2-0 home defeat). The records show his debut as being in a 3-0 home defeat to Bolton. Also it suggested that his marriage was before signing for City when it appeared to be in 1950 after his signature in 1949.

Totally off topic ..... my Gran (who was a season ticket holder and didn't miss a home match under any circumstances - we had to plan our holidays around the fixture list) used to make extra cash by going round Jewish homes and doing stuff for them on a Saturday (like setting and lighting fires )

Me too - he was my boyhood hero. Whenever I played football with other kids on the local park I always volunteered to be the goalie.

My 12 year old son is so intrigued by his story - keeps watching old footage on line, reads all the time about his life too.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.