Champions League 2019/20

I think it would be great if they included every top division club in Europe. Got rid of group stages and changed it to straight knockouts. Penalties immediately if it's a draw. Could turn it into a proper FA cup styled competition. Seed in the clubs with better coefficients later on in the season etc. Implement a 10% allocation for away fans (if they require it). Imagine Barcelona being drawn against minnows like St Johnstone, TNS or Manchester United, who have very little hope of seeing their club perform at the top level of Europe again. That would be a lot more interesting than watching Liverpool v Porto for the 53rd time in 3 years.
I suggested similar a while back. A straight UEFA knockout cup competition (home and away legs) for the top 8 in the top 7 ranked leagues + 8 qualifiers (I think there needs to be some control due to stadium standards and some of those smaller leagues just wouldn't be able to cope), but also a proper Champions League at the end of the season for the winners of the top 4 ranked leagues, plus another 2 that come through qualifying, in 2 leagues of 3, winners to the final. 11 games to win the 'cup' and 5 to win the 'league'. It would probably mean ditching the league cup, though.

I suggested similar a while back. A straight UEFA knockout cup competition (home and away legs) for the top 8 in the top 7 ranked leagues + 8 qualifiers (I think there needs to be some control due to stadium standards and some of those smaller leagues just wouldn't be able to cope), but also a proper Champions League at the end of the season for the winners of the top 4 ranked leagues, plus another 2 that come through qualifying, in 2 leagues of 3, winners to the final. 11 games to win the 'cup' and 5 to win the 'league'. It would probably mean ditching the league cup, though.
could even call it a Fairplay Cup and award lower teams a fairplay place, like what we qualified under Hughes and Keegan

straight knock-out would make it really interesting

could even call it a Fairplay Cup and award lower teams a fairplay place, like what we qualified under Hughes and Keegan

straight knock-out would make it really interesting
Personally I'd leave it to just proper qualification. The problem is that the variation across the leagues is just too great to have a continent wide open competition and it would have to be 2 legs for each game otherwise the home team has too much an advantage. They should have separate competitions for the lower ranked leagues.

Whatever, UEFA will just go down the route of whatever brings in the most money. I wouldn't lose sleep if the whole lot was binned, personally.

well in reality, that's the first joke of the competition right there isn't it.
all 17 clubs who stayed up in the Prem are better than those.
I don’t think the second placed Prem team should play in the CL, never mind the 17th

i cant see how the champions league can ever be won by a team who arent the present champions in their own league.Was better having european cup/cup winners cup and uefa/fairs cup,but woulnt work now as bigger teams want the cash cow that the "champions league" has become.Tiered euro leagues similar in format to the league England failed miserably in last month -with promotion/relegation-non of this closed shop rubbish proposed by Gill and his mates

I don’t think the second placed Prem team should play in the CL, never mind the 17th
I agree but that kinda wasn't the point, but ironically it looks like under some new system proposed or leaked or whatever it was that hypothetically Barcelona could have a terrible 17th place year in the league and would still qualify for the next years champions league if they did not finish in the bottom one or two spots(not quite sure) in their current group stage standings.

edit: https://www.nytimes.com/2019/05/09/sports/champions-league-europe-restructuring.html
not as good as the first description i saw by a long ways and there are loads of others, point is it's out there, cheers.

Last edited:

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.