Help me get my toddler to sleep

How old?
Either way, remember your house is not a democracy, the child is not your equal. The child only does what is allowed/tolerated and what it thinks it can get away with

I’ve a toddler, she was 2 in Feb. She tries it on now and again but has been in a routine of sleeping through since about 3 or 4 months old

Rule with an iron fist, would be my advice
He’s 2 next month. I don’t like the iron fist approach, I was in fear of my dad as a kid due to his loud booming voice, he’d shout for fun. I need to be stricter with him, but it’s about finding a balance I suppose.

Routine is key, dinner, PJs, teeth, up to bed and story or two then sleep, or just chat with them about inane stuff until they decide sleep is a better option than your voice! We'd tend to stay with ours until they'd dropped off at first, then when they knew the score say goodnight after the story and go. Worked for us, hope it does for you.

Also give them opportunity to burn off the excess energy, an hour in the garden or park where you can (usually easier on weekends!). Find telly or a film can be like a tranquelizer at times for kids which sounds great, but almost always have issues come bedtime if we let that happen.

Last weekend my missus was out and I had them both to contend with. Spent the afternoon outside intentionally and had one drop off before seven before we even made it upstairs, and the other by eight after doing her homework, and they had over eleven hours sleep each. It will get better and you'll feel like a hero when it does happen!

Yeah, we’ve had barneys over it because one of us gives in just to stop the screaming. It’s torture. I thought I was fairly laid back until I had a child. What really worries me is that people choose to have another baby after they’ve had one! Never again haha.
Never ever fold and give in to them.

No means no. Stop means stop.

Totally feel for you pal, it really is a horrible thing to go through. Our daughter is 2 and a half now and has been a terrrible sleeper compared to our first. Went through 6 months last year where she woke every single night for about 3 hours and just screamed the house down. We tried everything and nothing seemed to work. Then slowly she started to improve and now we get the odd night of half decent sleep.

Worst part is when you start turning on each other which just heightens the misery your going through. I found the calmer I remained (I felt on the edge many times) the easier it was to deal with. She is the perfect contraception that’s for sure.

Please please please don't listen to all these people advising you to leave him alone to cry / scream. This is known as 'controlled crying' and has been found to cause lasting psychological damage (which is no surprise of course). Who the hell would do such a thing to a small child!?

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.