FIFA Women's WC France 2019

Indeed when using 25 frames per second 2 players moving at a mere 3 metres per second in opposite directions results in a 6 metre differentiation per second or 24cm per frame, and they reckon they can without doubt call a decision to a cm is total on utter fabricated bollocks. Even if the defender is static its 12cm margin of error per frame, and 3 metres per second isn't even sprinting, that's doing 100m in 30= seconds, imagine sane for example running full tilt at 8+mps with a quick full back running forward to try to play offside at 7mps that iss 60cm differentiation per frame, but we still trust someone to draw a line and say definitively he was 3cms offside totally disregarding the margins of error the laws of physics have dictated since time began.

I have gone 100% full circle on VAR from total support of the concept to absolutely hating the way its been corrupted and fully expect it to be used purely as a tool to appease the broadcasters rather than fans or actually improve match integrity.
Just a thought. In cricket you see on screen when the ball edges the bat. Is it possible to put something in the ball to detect the moment it is kicked. You would probably need something in the boot as well. As I'm writing this more problems come up. Let's go back to steel toe caps and laced up balls ( footballs). There was not as much controversy them days.

We don't know it was, and that's the point, its a single frame used, who picks that frame ?

With players moving quickly, often in opposite directions, the ball moving quickly, there is still scope for error, because the technology is not up to the job, we don't even know that the lines we see are in perspective.

Not a single USA player appealed, until after the goal was scored, well they would then wouldn't they ?

We've actually gone from encouraging goals (what wins in football) by giving strikers the benefit of the doubt on offside, to discouraging them, but disallowing marginal ones, just to pander to a technology that isn't yet good enough, and we're now saying his (her) big toe was offside, to me its ridiculous that football seems to want to prevent the whole reason we play it, goals.

Only legitimate goals should count. Dippers are yapping on about two Golden Boots - one of whom arrived at the magic number with an offside goal! The problem with VAR introduction is that it has not been trialled for a sufficient length of time to show what effect it would have on the game, and I have seen precious little info from the RDAHMeedya as to how the game would change. I think the basic reason why is because none of the people involved in the decisions had the faintest idea about how it would change, dramatically or otherwise, and we are left with a system of arbitration that is vastly different from what we might have seen over the last fifty years.

From the research I have seen, and some of my experiences coaching and playing whilst living here, I think it is only a matter of time before football overtakes baseball and/or hockey in popularity. Some of it is just demographics (barring any horrific actions taken by a Trump dictatorship, mind).

I agree it's only a matter of time before football is more popular than baseball with boys. I'd argue depending on where you live football is already more popular than ice hockey.

In the Boston area and other New England and upper Midwest states I'm sure hockey is very popular. Where I live, hockey is a niche sport and football is far more popular for boys and girls than hockey. Perhaps it's due to having a very diverse population with many Hispanic, African and European (east and west) immigrants? I don't know. I think that can be part of it but also it's hot here and far less tradition in playing hockey.

Never happen for two simple reasons - one, money & the other is that there simply isn't enough physical aggression in the sport. Yanks need their violence and the sport will never see wages that compare to that of NBA, NFL & MLB much less NHL
You've obviously never watched a group of Latino kids play. My daughter is 7 plays on a 9U travel football team and the latina girls shove, elbow and bulldoze if they can. My goodaye that's a Salvadoran immigrant tells me that's just how it is in Central and South American football.

NBA and Baseball are less contact sports than "Soccer". I think they don't get behind sports they can't dominate personally.

To an extent NBA isn't as physical. European players in the NBA are typically more finesse players. Many players with size and strength that grew up playing in America bring a good bit of physicality to the game.

I hear comparisons of Cricket to Baseball but all I would tell you is that there is a lot more physical contact in the game - I played throughout my adolescence into high school. Same for basketball, rules allow for contact but if you thought FIFA/UEFA officiating was poor, basketball officiating is not far off from WWF in terms of refereeing theatrics & agendas. NBA was my favorite pastime to watch prior to football but I couldn't stomach the officiating any longer - it's not a sport anymore, just a media event

I would agree about NBA refereeing. I've essentially stopped watching altogether. After the NBA referee was arrested a few years ago for essentially "match fixing" all the shit calls, etc I saw made sense. NBA may not be totally corrupt but I think it is to an extent.

It was on Sky Sports app. We had 74.8% pass completion USA had 68.2%

OK, so higher than quite a few premier league teams are achieving on average. It's not that bad and broadly speaking i don't think pass completion in isolation tells us a lot anyway. Would also add that playing in those kind of temperatures can knacker people out pretty quickly and lead to a bit of sloppiness.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.