Help me get my toddler to sleep

Give yourself a couple of nights of hell by going cold turkey. Putting them in amd dealing with the screaming. It is hard to do but it is the only way. Failing that calpol and brandy. For you or the kid ( or possibly both).

Just an update, last night we left him screaming at his gate, took him about 2 and a half hours before he stopped and fell asleep. Same thing tonight, it took 30 Mins! Progress. Cheers for all the advice

Put them to bed, go downstairs, turn the monitor off for 10minutes and see how it goes. If they are still away, repeat but for 15mins - sleep training is the key

To put it simply, there is absolutely no way you are getting you toddler to sleep through without upsetting him/her for a few days. So either do it now, or when they are older and have more stamina and can have proper tantrums
This is plain wrong.

These outmoded views from yesteryear have been found to be a cause of lasting psychological damage. Who in their right mind would cause terror to a tiny child like this? Obviously (and it IS obvious), that child believes that they are being abandoned - they are experiencing genuine terror when they are left like this. Sleep training is downright cruel and anyone these days who decides to pursue it - despite all of the evidence for the harm that it does to the child - needs to drag themselves into the 21st century and fast.

Last edited:
This is the way to sort it out.

Put them in bed/cot. let them cry for 3 mins then return, quick cuddle and back in.
Then leave them 5 mins, repeat. 7 mins repeat, 10 mins repeat, etc.

We had a few months of continuous sleepless nights and did this for one night - she's slept through the night pretty much ever since for the last 5 months. They have to learn how to get themselves to sleep, so when she does wake up in the night she is now able to get herself back to sleep on her own.

Leave em, let them scream their bollocks or tits off. They soon learn. I had more trouble stopping the Mrs going upstairs than getting the kids to learn. She thanks me for it now because when I met her she was still letting her 5 year old fall asleep on her lap before taking her up to bed. I was not going to let that happen with ours though.

Probably the last thing anyone would agree to but a child therapist could help.

It may be worth trying moving his bedroom around or even completely redecorating and buying new furniture, if you can justify the cost.

But at least look at moving the furniture around in his room first and put new pictures/posters up. You’d be surprised what a new feel to the room could do.

Keep the room very tidy. Mess can have an affect on mood. Move toys out of the room where possible.

Also another thing I thought of - no tele/iPad/phone within an hour of bedtime.

And most importantly for me - NO SUGARY FOODS! Ditch them from his diet completely! If he eats sweets, replace them with a healthy option. My Sister gives her kids sweets after tea but putting sugar in children is so bad for them.

This is plain wrong.

These outmoded views from yesteryear have been found to be a cause of lasting psychological damage. Who in their right mind would cause terror to a tiny child like this? Obviously (and it IS obvious), that child believes that they are being abandoned - they are experiencing genuine terror when they are left like this. Sleep training is downright cruel and anyone these days who decides to pursue it - despite all of the evidence for the harm that it does to the child - needs to drag themselves into the 21st century and fast.

Utter fucking rubbish. 2 nights of not getting her own way does not result in lasting damage, don’t be absurd!

She’s slept fine for 2 years and is an extremely happy child.

Utter fucking rubbish. 2 nights of not getting her own way does not result in lasting damage, don’t be absurd!

She’s slept fine for 2 years and is an extremely happy child.
See I took the strong arm approach and I think I may have actually caused long lasting damage.

All five of my kids / young adults are a complete menace to society now.

My eldest daughter is turning out to be right do gooder. Wants to give back to kids with problems like anxiety by going to uni to be a bloody teacher. I've turned my back completely on her now. I mean what's wrong with benefits or working on a till. I dunno shocking up bringing.

My eldest lad is a nightmare. Only went and decided to get himself a trade at college and now an apprentice in a trade I mean, what the hell good is that when you have a skill that people will pay money for? Why cant he go and sit in piccadilly gardens all day like the rest of em.

The step daughter decided, oh I know I'll go to uni to train up as a nurse. FFS stupid mare. yeh that's right go and help the sick and injured. Selfish git. I obviously failed with the charity begins at home thing.

The youngest lad is in High School so still time to 'educate' I guess. Trouble is he insists on being so bloody clever and winning end of year prizes for excellence and piano performances. Then when hes got nowt to do when he shld be dossing around causing havoc hes out at Bridgewater Hall playing his cello in GM Youth String Orchestra. On Friday when he should be out snogging a bird in the local park hes actually playing cello at the RNCM.

Then theres the apple of me eye. Just leaving primary and off to big school. A whole new world of delinquent education is ahead of her. I'm so proud and looking forward to her future court appearances. Oh wait hang on.... No that's right she wants to be a teacher too. Christ where did it all go wrong?

See what happens when u do a weeks worth of cruel to be kind.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.