Noel, Liam, City

Music snobs are the most tedious kind of snobs as their only mission in life is to show everyone how achingly cool they are. If something is enjoyed by the masses, it must be shit. You'd think people would grow out of that attitude once their teens have ended.

And I particularly don't understand this focus on lyrics as the sole barometer of songwriting prowess. The one thing Noel Gallagher has never bigged himself up about is his lyrics.

He's stated many times that he often just scribbled down some words that rhyme at the last minute. That approach is clearly evident in plenty of Oasis's most famous songs but it doesn't stop them from being great songs.

There are some excellent lyricists whose music is dirge. Shit music cannot be rescued by great lyrics. But shit lyrics can most certainly be rescued by great music.

Lennon & McCartney are universally regarded as two of the world's greatest ever songwriters. Their music is indeed fantastic but a lot of their lyrics are childish, formulaic, churned out shite. In my opinion, of course.

And that's the crux of it. Opinions. Music is meant to move you, and if it does then you will quite rightly consider it to be good. That's all that matters.

I tend to judge people by the 'would I go for a pint with them meter?'

Noel ...yes
Liam ....I'd watch from the other side of the pub.

Last edited:
Music snobs are the most tedious kind of snobs as their only mission in life is to show everyone how achingly cool they are. If something is enjoyed by the masses, it must be shit. You'd think people would grow out of that attitude once their teens have ended.

And I particularly don't understand this focus on lyrics as the sole barometer of songwriting prowess. The one thing Noel Gallagher has never bigged himself up about is his lyrics.

He's stated many times that he often just scribbled down some words that rhyme at the last minute. That approach is clearly evident in plenty of Oasis's most famous songs but it doesn't stop them from being great songs.

There are some excellent lyricists whose music is dirge. Shit music cannot be rescued by great lyrics. But shit lyrics can most certainly be rescued by great music.

Lennon & McCartney are universally regarded as two of the world's greatest ever songwriters. Their music is indeed fantastic but a lot of their lyrics are childish, formulaic, churned out shite. In my opinion, of course.

And that's the crux of it. Opinions. Music is meant to move you, and if it does then you will quite rightly consider it to be good. That's all that matters.

That's a very good point indeed. I happen to think that while there's a lot of great music about, lyrics often leave a lot to be desired. People on this thread have bigged up Noel Gallagher and Richard Ashcroft as great lyricists but let's take a couple of examples shall we?

Some Might Say is a great song but if anyone can make sense of the following lyrics I'm all ears:

'Cause I've been standing at the station
In need of education in the rain

Whenever I hear Liam singing that, all I can think of is that he (or Noel, considering he was the one who wrote it) is stood at some random train station in the pissing rain and contemplating going to night school to re-sit some of his fucking O Levels.

Now let's look at Ashcroft and the song Sonnet. Another good song and the lyrics aren't bad in the main but the bit below smacks suspiciously of just writing something for rhyming purposes:

Yes, there's love if you want it
Don't sound like no sonnet, my lord
Yes, there's love if you want it
Don't sound like no sonnet, my lord
My lord

For the record, a sonnet is a 14 line poem with each line being 10 syllables long so I'm fucked if I know how Ashcroft can fit any reference to a sonnet into the lines of this song.

As for Lennon and McCartney, Ob-La-Di, Ob-La-Da really highlights their songwriting prowess. Not!

That's a very good point indeed. I happen to think that while there's a lot of great music about, lyrics often leave a lot to be desired. People on this thread have bigged up Noel Gallagher and Richard Ashcroft as great lyricists but let's take a couple of examples shall we?

Some Might Say is a great song but if anyone can make sense of the following lyrics I'm all ears:

Whenever I hear Liam singing that, all I can think of is that he (or Noel, considering he was the one who wrote it) is stood at some random train station in the pissing rain and contemplating going to night school to re-sit some of his fucking O Levels.

Now let's look at Ashcroft and the song Sonnet. Another good song and the lyrics aren't bad in the main but the bit below smacks suspiciously of just writing something for rhyming purposes:

For the record, a sonnet is a 14 line poem with each line being 10 syllables long so I'm fucked if I know how Ashcroft can fit any reference to a sonnet into the lines of this song.

As for Lennon and McCartney, Ob-La-Di, Ob-La-Da really highlights their songwriting prowess. Not!
It's no Digsy's Dinner, that's for sure!

See rent a gob is at it again, in some pointless spat with lewis capaldi, he is now calling Scotland a third world country and pissing people off.

Spent his early carrer pretending to be lennon, now trying his later years trying to outdo Mozza in talking shite.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.