Help me get my toddler to sleep

Admittedly I’m a right soft touch with our 3 year old boy but we just let him watch tv in bed with us until he falls asleep usually around 7/8 then we just move him into his own room and he usually sleeps,through until about 5:30. No doubt completely wrong in the eyes of the experts but works for us.

Wife is currently pregnant with our 2nd due in December so may need some of the advice in this thread!

We didn't have one but my mate has just bought one

We were lucky, from memory, Mrs Hef breast fed but after the evening feed, Little Hef didn't need another until the morning.

Re the story, the child was playing up a little after bedtime last night so we said she will be going to bed without a story if she carried on. She went mental! She absolutely loves story at bedtime, Topsy And Tim, in particular

Absolutely, I have to be careful when I employ this threat so as not to overdo it but the threat of taking away their story usually gets them to comply

Admittedly I’m a right soft touch with our 3 year old boy but we just let him watch tv in bed with us until he falls asleep usually around 7/8 then we just move him into his own room and he usually sleeps,through until about 5:30. No doubt completely wrong in the eyes of the experts but works for us.

Wife is currently pregnant with our 2nd due in December so may need some of the advice in this thread!

I’m no expert but I’d say ditch the telly tonight and get him falling asleep in his own room starting tonight. You’ve got the weekend so assuming you don’t work weekends it’s the perfect time to start

We've most of us been through this as parents, and we may have forgotten, but we probably did it as children. It happened to me and by fuck it was a grind. Went on and on for months, and it was every single night, several times a night, without fail. I was not at the time one of these people who can get back to sleep in a jiffy. Far from it. He is an only child and to this day he is absolutely the apple of my eye (he's now 37, bless him, an adorable child who charmed the birds off the trees, and a great guy as an adult!), but I'm not ashamed to say that there were times during that period when I hated him.
Child psychoanalysts believe that it is round about 2 or so that they suddenly wake up to the fact that you can abandon them (prior to that, they sort of think they're God, and that their needs summon you magically). So it's an anxiety period that most of us go through, that may very well correspond to dreams that they're having about that very eventuality (i.e. just waking up one day and finding that both of you are gone forever).
That said, I have no easy answer about what you actually do about it. This is no more than my conviction about this, and about parenting in general: you've got to walk the fine line between folding immediately and always, and being Hitler. At both extremes I believe you can do damage, not only to the child, but to the adult that that child becomes.

he won’t stay in his bed and is driving me batshit crazy. We’ve not had a full nights sleep in about 6 months. Can anyone suggest any inventive legal ways of keeping him in his bed?

I was up for putting a lock on the outside of his door but his mam ain’t having it.

It's matter of getting a routine going ..1) Make sure the kiddo doesn't have a long afternoon nap. 2) A nice warm water tub bath prior to sleep time (for the baby) 3) lights off and no noise in the baby's room..keep this up for a few days and your baby will learn the routine

It's matter of getting a routine going ..1) Make sure the kiddo doesn't have a long afternoon nap. 2) A nice warm water tub bath prior to sleep time (for the baby) 3) lights off and no noise in the baby's room..keep this up for a few days and your baby will learn the routine

Also very important to ensure that the baby burps after every feed before he/she lies down. Colicky babies don't sleep well. Make sure you hear a nice burp.

Take care :)

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.