Bought A Bicycle - Tips And Advice, Please...

• Thread starter Deleted member 77198
  • Start date
My Mrs works in MRI and some of the stuff she see's on a very regular basis completely puts me off road cycling.

Any recommendations on a cheap 1 bike car rack appreciated looking to get a little further afield.

Saris make a great bike rack - PS you get what you pay for so expect it to be > Aldi for quality and cost.

I can guarantee that once you get fit, the cycling will become an absolute joy and something you'll look forward to doing each day. Be great for a progress report in say six months and also how you feel about the standards of motoring now and in six months. Welcome to the world of cycle-commuting. It's absolutely brilliant!
I started a thread about my own cycling incident in December when a driver knocked me off my pushbike deliberately, I won't bore you with the details. What I will say is be very careful and take out the insurance.

I haven't felt able to go back on the road after my incident (initially physical reasons but lately a bit of a mental block) and despite the bike being totally repaired and sitting in my shed I have just bought a WattBike Atom to try and get back to fitness, it's not my preferred choice as there are no secondary muscles being used and the view is a little dull in my shed but I will start using Zwift for a bit of variety on the screen once I'm fit again.

My shoulder isn't great so far on the WattBike as I broke my collarbone in 3 places when the guy wiped me out but hopefully it will settle once I am back to fitness on the static bike..

Ride safe!

Last edited:
Having two cycling lunatic sons who have invested bloody thousands into their bikes and ride 1000's of miles per year, I can tell you the greatest bit of advice is to get the best helmet you can afford. Irrespective of how careful or skilful you are, you will come off at some point and the helmet may well be a lifesaver.

Having two cycling lunatic sons who have invested bloody thousands into their bikes and ride 1000's of miles per year, I can tell you the greatest bit of advice is to get the best helmet you can afford. Irrespective of how careful or skilful you are, you will come off at some point and the helmet may well be a lifesaver.
What is it they say. If you have a £10 head, get a £10 helmet.

I know in Germany it’s the law to have a helmet, yet it isn’t here.

Mine broke in a couple of places in December when I hit the road.. I don’t even remember hitting my head to be honest but looking at it afterwards I was bloody glad I was wearing it

Dunno if it's been said already as I've not read all the pages, but definitely keep your wits about you. Common sense I know, but it feels like there's a lot of angry cunts on the roads out there to piss off cyclists. And plenty of zombie drivers, as I call them, who just don't seem to notice you and so pull out of side streets and junctions without seeing you, or just don't give you any room as they overtake.

I've been commuting on bikes for years. I don't own a car and so cycle a lot. I've been knocked off my bike 4 times in the last 10 years, the last being a couple of weeks ago, and as usual, a car pulling out of a junction. He was extremely apologetic about it and straight away said he wasn't looking as he pulled out. Luckily I saw that he wasn't looking and so attempted to get around the front of his car, meaning he clipped my back wheel, making me wobble off onto a grass verge where I could commando roll to safety haha.

So when passing junctions and side streets etc, try to look at where the driver is looking as they may move out without seeing you. It might sound like common sense, but maybe not everyone thinks like this and like with driving, you could be the safest and most experienced but yet other people make mistakes/are idiots/zombies or nutters out to get cyclists.

Another one of my favourites (that's resulted with me coming off) is when a driver wants to turn left, and instead of slowing down behind you to wait for you to pass the left turn they want to turn into, they go around you and then turn left right in front of you, or as in my case once before, pretty much into me, making me fly over their bonnet.

Dunno if it's been said already as I've not read all the pages, but definitely keep your wits about you. Common sense I know, but it feels like there's a lot of angry cunts on the roads out there to piss off cyclists. And plenty of zombie drivers, as I call them, who just don't seem to notice you and so pull out of side streets and junctions without seeing you, or just don't give you any room as they overtake.

I've been commuting on bikes for years. I don't own a car and so cycle a lot. I've been knocked off my bike 4 times in the last 10 years, the last being a couple of weeks ago, and as usual, a car pulling out of a junction. He was extremely apologetic about it and straight away said he wasn't looking as he pulled out. Luckily I saw that he wasn't looking and so attempted to get around the front of his car, meaning he clipped my back wheel, making me wobble off onto a grass verge where I could commando roll to safety haha.

So when passing junctions and side streets etc, try to look at where the driver is looking as they may move out without seeing you. It might sound like common sense, but maybe not everyone thinks like this and like with driving, you could be the safest and most experienced but yet other people make mistakes/are idiots/zombies or nutters out to get cyclists.

Another one of my favourites (that's resulted with me coming off) is when a driver wants to turn left, and instead of slowing down behind you to wait for you to pass the left turn they want to turn into, they go around you and then turn left right in front of you, or as in my case once before, pretty much into me, making me fly over their bonnet.
Good advice. Anticipate the worst at all times. I have a rear view mirror on my commuter bike which I thoroughly recommend. From a company called Mirrcycle

I’m shitting myself now! Hahaha.. Cheers though lads, looking forward to it really.

Bike comes tomorrow or Wednesday I think.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.