Spurs thread 2019/20

Status
Not open for further replies.
@salfordbluetrue

I've brought this over from the Ndombele thread in the transfer section because, now that he's a confirmed Spurs signing, I guess that you guys don't really want that thread bumped. I don't want this to sound (too much!) like a 'nya, nya...told you so' kind of post. It's more meant just to give you a more informed idea of how players see Poch. Firstly, a quick recap of what you said:

And this is what Ndombele had to say in an interview with L'Equipe that was published today:

Ndombele on picking Tottenham: "I think it's a great choice. What guided me was the Premier League, the Top 4 in England, a very good coach who'll help me reach another level. I'm at a crossroads. You weigh up the pros and cons and you choose."

More Ndombele on Tottenham: "It's a carefully thought-out decision. Tottenham have one of the best coaches in the world. The fact that he wants you really makes you want to work with him. It's he who tipped the balance in my decision."

Ndombele on Pochettino persuasion: "It's hard to describe but he knows how to touch, to mark people. He looked me in the eye and said "come with me and I'm sure I'll help you progress". That kind of thing made me want to sign. I saw that he really wanted and liked me."
Did not bother to read your mail, if you think a player signs for a club and then says anything but niceties you trul

Poch isn't Pep. He doesn't have Pep's astounding record of winning trophies (but then, he's never had anything like the same level of resources to work with). Poch still has much to prove. Pep hardly has anything left to prove. But that doesn't mean that Poch isn't still a big draw; a great selling point for potential signings.

They can't all play for Pep, after all.
If you think any player signs for a new team and says anything but niceties about them you are extremely naive, what was he going to say` I came to win trophies`?

Poch can’t be a pull when he’s won nothing. I rate him highly and I’m sure he’s capable of saying the right things to convince a player to join when there’s an interest just like any of manager but that’s not the same as being a draw in their own right.

There’s only one manager that has that draw, and that’s Pep. Nobody else comes close. Mourinho was the only other manager from the current crop that had their own draw until he lost the plot, and I’ll begrudgingly admit fergie was the same before that.

If you think any player signs for a new team and says anything but niceties about them you are extremely naive, what was he going to say` I came to win trophies`?

It was an interview with L'Equipe. He didn't have to mention Poch at all.

Poch can’t be a pull when he’s won nothing. I rate him highly and I’m sure he’s capable of saying the right things to convince a player to join when there’s an interest just like any of manager but that’s not the same as being a draw in their own right.

There’s only one manager that has that draw, and that’s Pep. Nobody else comes close. Mourinho was the only other manager from the current crop that had their own draw until he lost the plot, and I’ll begrudgingly admit fergie was the same before that.

Of course Pep is one of, if not the most, admired and revered managers in the world (though he has never tested himself at a club with limited resources). But there are only 25 senior players in the entire world who can play for him in any given season. Which means that the other gazillion players weigh up their decisions as to where to move next at least partially on how they rate every other manager. And, among the remainder, Poch is unquestionably near the top. Of the current managers at top clubs in top leagues, I can only think of Klopp who is currently more highly rated.

As I said in a previous post, to judge a manager solely on what he has or hasn't won - irregardless of the resources that he has had to work with - is both limiting and wrongheaded.

Of course Pep is one of, if not the most, admired and revered managers in the world (though he has never tested himself at a club with limited resources). But there are only 25 senior players in the entire world who can play for him in any given season. Which means that the other gazillion players weigh up their decisions as to where to move next at least partially on how they rate every other manager. And, among the remainder, Poch is unquestionably near the top. Of the current managers at top clubs in top leagues, I can only think of Klopp who is unquestionably more highly rated.

As I said in a previous post, to judge a manager solely on what he has or hasn't won - irregardless of the resources he has had to work with - is both limiting and wrongheaded.

With FFP every club has, in effect, limited resources.

Indeed.

But having been at a club that has embarked upon a £750m stadium project for the duration of his tenure, Poch has had far less to work with than his rivals.

Oh aye. Was not disagreeing with that. Was disagreeing with that statement.
You would think journalist would understand fully, what they are saying.
Due to FFP NO club has unlimited resources.

@salfordbluetrue

I've brought this over from the Ndombele thread in the transfer section because, now that he's a confirmed Spurs signing, I guess that you guys don't really want that thread bumped. I don't want this to sound (too much!) like a 'nya, nya...told you so' kind of post. It's more meant just to give you a more informed idea of how players see Poch. Firstly, a quick recap of what you said:

And this is what Ndombele had to say in an interview with L'Equipe that was published today:

Ndombele on picking Tottenham: "I think it's a great choice. What guided me was the Premier League, the Top 4 in England, a very good coach who'll help me reach another level. I'm at a crossroads. You weigh up the pros and cons and you choose."

More Ndombele on Tottenham: "It's a carefully thought-out decision. Tottenham have one of the best coaches in the world. The fact that he wants you really makes you want to work with him. It's he who tipped the balance in my decision."

Ndombele on Pochettino persuasion: "It's hard to describe but he knows how to touch, to mark people. He looked me in the eye and said "come with me and I'm sure I'll help you progress". That kind of thing made me want to sign. I saw that he really wanted and liked me."

Poch isn't Pep. He doesn't have Pep's astounding record of winning trophies (but then, he's never had anything like the same level of resources to work with). Poch still has much to prove. Pep hardly has anything left to prove. But that doesn't mean that Poch isn't still a big draw; a great selling point for potential signings.

I suppose he was also a boyhood spurs fan, thinks his new teammates are the best players he's ever played with and says he's going to give his all to Tottenham?

Of course Pep is one of, if not the most, admired and revered managers in the world (though he has never tested himself at a club with limited resources). But there are only 25 senior players in the entire world who can play for him in any given season. Which means that the other gazillion players weigh up their decisions as to where to move next at least partially on how they rate every other manager. And, among the remainder, Poch is unquestionably near the top. Of the current managers at top clubs in top leagues, I can only think of Klopp who is currently more highly rated.

As I said in a previous post, to judge a manager solely on what he has or hasn't won - irregardless of the resources that he has had to work with - is both limiting and wrongheaded.

JimB - according to your logic, how does Robbie Keane then have
@salfordbluetrue

I take it you genuinely believe every club Robbie Keane joined was his "boyhood dream" then??

In less than two years, it’s six decades since they last won the league; an astonishing period for a self-proclaimed ‘big’ club.

Not something to be mocked, but defitely observed and bored about, given their pontifications.

They'll fuck it up again, though. They always do.

What a stupid comment. I wonder why he hasn’t?
Probably for the same reason that Lewis Hamilton doesn’t drive the slowest car he can find and why Roger Federer doesn’t use a wooden racket.
Pep has earned his place at the top of the game and it’s insane to suggest he should handicap himself just to prove something.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.