Harry Maguire

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think a lot of the comments here are quite harsh on Stones. i.e, Pep doesnt trust him, he's lost form, not first choice, etc etc. Is all that because Pep chose to plav VK in the last 5 games of the season? At which point he must have known vinnie's decision to leave, and gave him the send-off he deserves? So many i know were surprised and anxious every one of those 5 games VK started, and openly argued it should be Stones. Including myself for a few of those (particularly consecutive) games. Up until then however, Stones was first choice with Laporte and did really well, more or less all season and the last one too (partnering Ota a good chunk of it).

Ok i know he makes a big error every now and then, but which of our defenders don't? Even VK has a howler in him, and his timing with tackling is so often a bawhair away from a straight red. Ditto Nico. Laporte looks the most composed, but he makes mistakes too (i.e CL spurs at home). I myself can't see Maguire being first choice over Stones if we did go on to sign him. And i wouldn't say there is any problem with his form, quality or attitude.

Pep played VK in those games because he thought he was the best option. No way he played him to give him a nice send-off !

No opinion on Rodri playing CB, but does anyone remember Elano playing RB for a game under Sven? Good times. I think he might have won MOTM too.

Pep played VK in those games because he thought he was the best option. No way he played him to give him a nice send-off !

I don't believe that. I honestly really don't. Based on the (cleverly cagey) comments coming out from both at the time, and the fact that Pep had 3 seasons to start VK five times in a row and never really attempted it. This is the man that was willing to risk losing the champions leagur final to give Abidal a send-off (Pep's words, not mine). For me, he played vinnie in his last games for the club. It so happened to be the best footballing decision as well (if we accept the couple moments he was lucky not to get sent off). But the personal reasons must have come into it, if we know Pep at all.

But that's what i believe, i appreciate you may disagree. Still doesnt make Stones a terrible or useless defender, given how well he has done for us overall last two seasons. Which was my main point.

I don't believe that. I honestly really don't. Based on the (cleverly cagey) comments coming out from both at the time, and the fact that Pep had 3 seasons to start VK five times in a row and never really attempted it. This is the man that was willing to risk losing the champions leagur final to give Abidal a send-off (Pep's words, not mine). For me, he played vinnie in his last games for the club. It so happened to be the best footballing decision as well (if we accept the couple moments he was lucky not to get sent off). But the personal reasons must have come into it, if we know Pep at all.

But that's what i believe, i appreciate you may disagree. Still doesnt make Stones a terrible or useless defender, given how well he has done for us overall last two seasons. Which was my main point.
Lucky not to be sent off against whom?

I completely disagree about VK. Stones couldn't play himself into form and had personal issues which were probably very much at the forefront of his mind. Im not at all saying that Stones is a poor defender but VK was played because he was the best option.

As for Abidals send off it was an easy and nice thing to say in hindsight after the event and in view of the situation. Do you think he would have mentioned it if they had lost ? No.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.