B2B sales

I can only speak for myself, but I spent 10 years working in this industry and I'd recommend you avoid it like the plague. Met some great people, but the way you are generally treated in these jobs is appalling, primarily because you are instantly replaceable, so they know they can treat you like shit and get away with it. I was lucky enough to get out, although it was partly because I took my last employer to court for treating their staff so badly. Unless you were one of the CEO's pet employees, which involved kissing his arse, there was never any chance of promotion. And I saw this at multiple companies. One of the major problems you will find is that once you've been doing this for a little while, your degree will suddenly essentially become meaningless and you'll only be able to find work in this sector. I got out at the age of 33 and ended up going on to get a degree and a phd and now I work in medical research. Walking out of that company/industry is the single best move I ever made in my career.
That's worrying for me as I'm the same age as you and I've done the reverse of what you have done.
I got a degree and got a job with it and stayed in the profession for 11 years.
Now I've moved completely away from it and moved to b2b sales.
I did apply for other roles (recruitment and managing a business) but was told that I didn't have the sales experience.
I think I would like to end up in recruitment in a few years but I'll see where it takes me.
The place I've just started at is a huge company so lots of opportunities for progression so I may end up staying for a long time.

Know your product in depth

Know your customers business and processes (in depth)

Man mark your opposite number and make sure that his bosses are man marked as well

adopt a consultative approach and don't assume that your the only person on the pitch

That's worrying for me as I'm the same age as you and I've done the reverse of what you have done.
I got a degree and got a job with it and stayed in the profession for 11 years.
Now I've moved completely away from it and moved to b2b sales.
I did apply for other roles (recruitment and managing a business) but was told that I didn't have the sales experience.
I think I would like to end up in recruitment in a few years but I'll see where it takes me.
The place I've just started at is a huge company so lots of opportunities for progression so I may end up staying for a long time.
I think, to a certain extent, I was a victim of the crap companies I worked for. I've got many friends who still work in sales and they are more than happy with their jobs. I personally found it extremely repetitive and boring, but with the added problem that it tends to be fairly obvious if I think a boss is a dickhead. I was good at my job, worked in one place for 5 years, and there's no way they'd have kept me around for that long if I wasn't 'making my sales', but so glad I got out. As for recruitment, I spent 9 months doing that and got out. Again, might have been the company I was working for, but they were underhand and extremely immoral. Good luck in what you're doing though, and I hope it does work out for you.

Building surveying
In which case you're nuts for wanting to go into sales IMO. My advice would be to get into the sector I've operated in for 20 yrs - Social housing, lots of opportunities in this space and very good (secure) careers to be had. I operate as a consultant in this area (property) and it's been very good to me. DM me if you like

Nothing wrong with selling if - as said above- you believe in your company and your product. There’s a decent wedge to be earned too, if you’re successful.

Recruitment is not an area with high ethical standards, in my opinion. “Shysters” sums up a lot of operators in that field. Personally, I doubt it would end up burnishing your CV. Given your background, selling a more technical product or service might be a better match.

Building surveying

As above - go into a closely related field. As a serious suggestion I'd go into an estate agents and get a job, they have high turnover so you should get in no problem. It is sales but closer to your degree. Then just keep applying - the fact you are in something related and can demonstrate you can hold down a job will help. As a plan B with your degree you could get into commercial agency which is a million times better than selling houses.

If you do go into sales - what you are selling is a massive factor. Selling a Porsche is not difficult - if someone turns up at the garage the only issue is can they afford it? Selling second hand Renault's is difficult all day long.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.