Armed police

Whereas in the US, there is total respect for the cops and the world is hunk dory. Give ya head a wobble son
Always funny to watch people see my screen name and think I’m having a pop because I work in Chicago now!

This wasn’t a comparison, and thank goodness my screen name isn’t GazaBlue, but an observation based on being raised in and around Manc and now visiting regularly.

There has certainly been some economic development, and I’m sure there are more than a few scripted who’ve managed to cobble together a few quid and feel like they’ve made it, but I stand by my observations of both Manchester, the gun/knife issue, and the lack of respect for police.

While I’m socially liberal, I’m strongly in favor of law and order. The days when people can walk down a street and not feel safe are here. That’s a sad indictment of life in the big smoke....wherever it is. Sadly, Manchester is there, as evidenced by yet another day of reading the Manc new headlines. Shootings again, the Verdict in the MGS student stabbing showing the knife crime epidemic has reached even the leafiest of leafy green suburbs, and the saturation of drugs (to numb the pain of living in Manc?) even within teenagers at MGS.

You can keep it!

Certainly agree, but the rot set in with Maggie introducing the ' american ' free society !
I’m sure people will blame every social ill on someone else, but it’s long past time people stopped shaking their fist at “the man” and realized the mirror contains the answers.

The man doesn’t buy the knife, or use it. The man doesn’t secret a gun into society and use it. Those are individual crimes committed by individuals with no one to blame but themselves.

However, if people want to deflect blame onto “society,” then they need to understand their own role in building (or destroying, as the case is) that society.

There will always be naughty places good and smart people don’t (or shouldn’t) go, but when they become bigger and more widespread with every year, indeed every news cycle, then that is a bigger issue that needs to be addressed before it visits your own front door.

All 9 of them covering the City centre on a Saturday night? There's fuck all about so god knows who you've been observing. I remember at Maine Road you couldn't move for coppers being everywhere, at the Etihad you're lucky if you see ten on a match day. You're right though, it's nothing to do with them being understaffed, every single one of them is a wanker who wants to be on the tv.

What do you do for a living pal? If every other week you got a day off cancelled and most working days were extended by an extra couple of hours, do you think you'd perform at your best?

I and many thousands have had to do a lot more than that, with a lot more on the line and for a lot less pay, so un-twist your panties.

The nine principles of Peels policing were as follows:

1. To prevent crime and disorder, as an alternative to their repression by military force and severity of legal punishment.
  2. To recognise always that the power of the police to fulfil their functions and duties is dependent on public approval of their existence, actions and behaviour, and on their ability to secure and maintain public respect.
  3. To recognise always that to secure and maintain the respect and approval of the public means also the securing of the willing co-operation of the public in the task of securing observance of laws.
  4. To recognise always that the extent to which the co-operation of the public can be secured diminishes proportionately the necessity of the use of physical force and compulsion for achieving police objectives.
  5. To seek and preserve public favour, not by pandering to public opinion, but by constantly demonstrating absolutely impartial service to law, in complete independence of policy, and without regard to the justice or injustice of the substance of individual laws, by ready offering of individual service and friendship to all members of the public without regard to their wealth or social standing, by ready exercise of courtesy and friendly good humour, and by ready offering of individual sacrifice in protecting and preserving life.
  6. To use physical force only when the exercise of persuasion, advice and warning is found to be insufficient to obtain public co-operation to an extent necessary to secure observance of law or to restore order, and to use only the minimum degree of physical force which is necessary on any particular occasion for achieving a police objective.
  7. To maintain at all times a relationship with the public that gives reality to the historic tradition that the police are the public and that the public are the police, the police being only members of the public who are paid to give full-time attention to duties which are incumbent on every citizen in the interests of community welfare and existence.
  8. To recognise always the need for strict adherence to police-executive functions, and to refrain from even seeming to usurp the powers of the judiciary, of avenging individuals or the State, and of authoritatively judging guilt and punishing the guilty.
  9. To recognise always that the test of police efficiency is the absence of crime and disorder, and not the visible evidence of police action in dealing with them.

Always funny to watch people see my screen name and think I’m having a pop because I work in Chicago now!

This wasn’t a comparison, and thank goodness my screen name isn’t GazaBlue, but an observation based on being raised in and around Manc and now visiting regularly.

There has certainly been some economic development, and I’m sure there are more than a few scripted who’ve managed to cobble together a few quid and feel like they’ve made it, but I stand by my observations of both Manchester, the gun/knife issue, and the lack of respect for police.

While I’m socially liberal, I’m strongly in favor of law and order. The days when people can walk down a street and not feel safe are here. That’s a sad indictment of life in the big smoke....wherever it is. Sadly, Manchester is there, as evidenced by yet another day of reading the Manc new headlines. Shootings again, the Verdict in the MGS student stabbing showing the knife crime epidemic has reached even the leafiest of leafy green suburbs, and the saturation of drugs (to numb the pain of living in Manc?) even within teenagers at MGS.

You can keep it!

I am not sure if the statistics back up your observations of the UK being any more dangerous than before, although that would depend on when before is of course. Can't find the stats for Manchester specifically, but for England and Wales, generally there has been, over the past few years a very small increase in violent and sexual crimes, but both remain at a level around the same as the early 1980s and way below the historic highs recorded in the late 1990's. Since the turn of the millenium, violent and sexual crimes have fallen gradually down from those peaks, although like i said there have been small increases in the past 2 - 3 years.

The point being, there is no crime epidemic (in the UK, again i don't have stats for Manc specifically), the media however are for some reason pushing an agenda that it is worse now than at any time before, this of course negatively impacts on peoples perceptions.

Drugs and drug use will continue to rise until the politicians realise that the failed war on drugs is unwinnable and they start to a realise that decriminalisation is the only logical route.

I am not sure if the statistics back up your observations of the UK being any more dangerous than before, although that would depend on when before is of course. Can't find the stats for Manchester specifically, but for England and Wales, generally there has been, over the past few years a very small increase in violent and sexual crimes, but both remain at a level around the same as the early 1980s and way below the historic highs recorded in the late 1990's. Since the turn of the millenium, violent and sexual crimes have fallen gradually down from those peaks, although like i said there have been small increases in the past 2 - 3 years.

The point being, there is no crime epidemic (in the UK, again i don't have stats for Manc specifically), the media however are for some reason pushing an agenda that it is worse now than at any time before, this of course negatively impacts on peoples perceptions.

Drugs and drug use will continue to rise until the politicians realise that the failed war on drugs is unwinnable and they start to a realise that decriminalisation is the only logical route.
reported violent crime is down ,but that doesn't prove if it is actually down or are less people reporting it due to a lack of action?

Probably more "hits" for a serious knife crime post than a story about social housing, or homelessness.

Think the general problem is the data sets that are available are inconsistent and flawed. If you look at the ONS website ...
https://www.ons.gov.uk/peoplepopula...still-rising-while-firearms-offences-decrease

It identifies various issues with underreporting and incorrect classification of offences in particular those involving knives and sharp objects. It’s reasonably well known that victims of violent crime don’t report it for fear of reprisals in some areas. Additionally when the statistics are recorded they are based upon outcomes, so what people are convicted of which may be very different from that experienced by the victims, offences often being downgraded as it is very hard to make attempted murder and similar charges stick in a court of law.

I do however agree with you that the media and press have overinflated the level of crime and there isn’t an epidemic per se. The worrying thing is not that it necessarily makes the general public more worried but rather it normalises certain crimes e.g. knife crime, leading to more people who are on the fringes of society seeing it as being more acceptable.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.