Cricket World Cup 2019 - England World Champions!!!

The "game" was a tribute to integrity and sportsmanship by two fully committed and talented teams" The agenda-driven screeching by certain quarters is the polar opposite, almost as pathetic as the brexit fiasco. The rules state "throw or act", quite definitely and explicitly not "throw", case dismissed, not guilty.
Can anyone defend the decision to outlaw " Draw" , as in, win lose or draw. Who decided and crucially why, in a final that is not part of a qualifying exercise, there has to be a winner.

Christ I didn’t know that! But to be honest it wasn’t the last ball of the game so no-one knows how those last two balls would have gone, it would still have been advantage England even with Rashid on strike.

I see Taufel is cited as saying Rashid should have been on strike as well. I has to look that up:

19.8 Overthrow or wilful act of fielder
If the boundary results from an overthrow or from the wilful act of a fielder, the runs scored shall be
any runs for penalties awarded to either side
and the allowance for the boundary
and the runs completed by the batsmen, together with the run in progress if they had
already crossed at the instant of the throw or act.
Law 18.12.2 (Batsman returning to wicket he/she has left) shall apply as from the instant of the throw or act.

More confuscation within the laws of the game. Makes me think that FICKFUFA have been writing the laws of cricket. Two runs for the batsman and four for the overthrows. Why the need to add some microscopic mullarkey where none is needed.
I think it is right to discuss it to prevent it re-occurring. The umpires should probably have known the rule on this, in my opinion, but with it being a rare occurrence it is good to revisit it as a reminder. I knew the boundary had to be counted and added to the completed runs, but didn't know about the throw-before-crossing rule. It's one of the great things about cricket, learning small anomalies like this, but I agree, quite why that rule is there is odd.

However, the fact is that the umpires decision on the pitch is final. If the players don't query it at the time, they lose their case. Williamson has been absolutely class in his responses so far. He has said it was one of those things and I'm pretty sure he'll say that you can't just dock a run off England now because you don't know if England would have then hit the next ball for four and won it anyway.

Last edited:
Shane Warne, " England didn't really beat New Zealand and New Zealand were the better side" . When will TV companies learn not to put bitter Australians on as pundits.

The live pictures showed the fielder throwing the ball and the batsmen had only just started their runs - nowhere near crossing tbh. The umpires just didn't check for it, it seems.
45f098b0-a69e-11e9-bdff-8d8bf0011412

who was in charge of VAR Peter Walton

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.