Caravan ownership

vincent

thinking of buying one up in Ribble valley/Yorkshire dales region. Undecided as to whether it would be a good investment or not. Anyone own a caravan and if so was it a good investment?

thinking of buying one up in Ribble valley/Yorkshire dales region. Undecided as to whether it would be a good investment or not. Anyone own a caravan and if so was it a good investment?
If it's a static you mean, then my brother in law had one a few years back. They're great if you or family can use it pretty much every weekend and better if used through the week, but he bought it new for around £14k and then I think he gave it back for almost nothing after 6 or 7 years. The site fees on the site he was on just doubled one year and were around £3k a year at the end. It had a decent entertainment complex hence the costs. Maths from that says an avg of around £3k outlay a year, so if used for 20 weekends its £150 a weekend. That's how I'd work it out, is it worth that money for the same place week in week out for a number of years, or just use hotels.

If you rent it out, it'll get trashed. If you use the site to rent it out, they'll take a huge cut.

My sister in law bought a vintage one, circa 1960s, for 500 CHF. She's pretty crafty and managed to give it some curb appeal while modernizing some of the basic things (Lighting, fridge, deco etc). It still looked pretty vintage or shabby chic but I have to say it turned out to be pretty useful, we borrowed it a couple of times and camped with it here in Switzerland - had a great time. She just sold it for nearly 4,000 CHF after 3 or 4 years of owning it. I think my in laws are still in disbelief because they were certain it would be a money pit

Got one in Porthmadog - on a haven site so plenty going on if you just want to stay on site. Loads on doorstep if you want to get out and about.
Only use it a couple of times a year and it is expensive, but it’s been money well spent.

An investment is the last thing it is, if static. They depreciate in value and the site managers have you by the balls as they will only allow them on site up to a certain age. A money pit is more like it, especially when site fees keep going up as they will do. If you have a family that you have to pay for to go on holidays then you will get a benefit from it, but it will never be an investment.

An investment is the last thing it is, if static. They depreciate in value and the site managers have you by the balls as they will only allow them on site up to a certain age. A money pit is more like it, especially when site fees keep going up as they will do. If you have a family that you have to pay for to go on holidays then you will get a benefit from it, but it will never be an investment.

They do indeed have you by the goolies.... some sites even insist that you take out insurance through them .....they then earn up to 45% commission and the claims service is crap.

Got one in Porthmadog - on a haven site so plenty going on if you just want to stay on site. Loads on doorstep if you want to get out and about.
Only use it a couple of times a year and it is expensive, but it’s been money well spent.
Greenacres!!
Had one on there for ten years, great holidays but crippling site fees meant I had to rent it out to afford it.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.