Caravan ownership

I love mine. It’s in a store and stay over near York. I paid 9k for a tourer ( doesn’t tour now) and well happy . Far enough to feel like a get away close enough to do a few days/weekend. I go at least a week at least once as well.

My parents have one on a 12 month site in Northumberland (most sites are 9 or 10 months). Beautiful countryside, river close by with footpaths etc, local village with pubs.... they need to sell it due to my dads mobility issues but can’t give it away. They spent loads on decking, new furniture etc but just can’t get any interest. They are a money pit unless you are going to use it very regularly.

thinking of buying one up in Ribble valley/Yorkshire dales region. Undecided as to whether it would be a good investment or not. Anyone own a caravan and if so was it a good investment?
I've often thought too somewhere in north wales,although site fees are the reason i wont

Love the statics but it's far far cheaper to just grab deals from Haven as and when required. Cheap as chips and no commitment.

Had a tourer for a few years which i loved ,then misery decided she wanted a static so we have one in North Wales which is lovely and quiet enough site, pool , pub on site etc and a nice little village up the road.

Try to get up 2 weekends a month and misery spends a fair bit of time there in the school holidays.

It’s great to get away from the hustle and bustle and nice and relaxing .
3k per year site fees.
Go for it.

Got one in Porthmadog - on a haven site so plenty going on if you just want to stay on site. Loads on doorstep if you want to get out and about.
Only use it a couple of times a year and it is expensive, but it’s been money well spent.
You are getting a new Showbar and Restaurant for next season.

Love the statics but it's far far cheaper to just grab deals from Haven as and when required. Cheap as chips and no commitment.
Is the correct answer. Same with motor-homes for the vast majority, although renting one costs more than a week in Spain and the 4/5 berths can be thirsty.

Is the correct answer. Same with motor-homes for the vast majority, although renting one costs more than a week in Spain and the 4/5 berths can be thirsty.

Another analogy would be time share and we use Diamond resorts when self catering as they are quite simply the doggies bollocks of overseas accomadation but only if rented though resellers like Trivago.. We rented a week in a superb apartment in Benalmadena for £225 and yet the poor lost souls who we spoke to on the time share paid circa 10k plus maintenance charges annually and were proper ill with it all.. Cash is king and passport to the world if and when you want it and when we visit a diamond resort they still say welcome home Bob and proper look after us.

Going back to the statics a pal of ours bought in and could only use it for around 10 weeks of the season so factor in site rent and depreciation on a 30 k van and could be looking around 8k annually divided by 10 weeks @ £800 weekly so not that brilliant. I think if you bought in you would have to rent it out or use it for half the season to get fair value. Still raelly nice to stay in though and Haven have some cracking mon to fri midweekers for around a ton.

Last edited:

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.