Caravan ownership

I have a static on Anglesey, and have to say it's one of the best things me and the missus ever did.

Those who say it's not a good financial investment are correct, you won't make money on them.

However, I didn't buy it as a financial investment, I bought it as an investment in my own happiness and wellbeing, and in those terms it's repaid itself handsomely. As soon as I cross over into the island I can feel my tensions dropping off me. I really love it there. I bought the van new, cost 26k, its a 3 season van, but fully double glazed and central heated. We have 12 month access to our site, which is beautifully located above a bay on the coast so have sea views, the site has basic facilties, which means the yearly fees are very reasonable (a shade over 2k) but is close to the village of Moelfre, so is good for a pub, a chippy, and a small shop.

Because everything is basic, reasonably new and maintained, there is very little to do there other than relax and invest in yourself, you have no choice! A friend of ours has a cottage outside Beaumaris, sure they'll make a few bob in equity when they sell it on, but they spend a hell of a lot of time repairing things (it flooded last winter!) fixing roofs, maintaining and gardening, etc. Best of luck to them, I'll take my van every day of the week.

If you decide to go for it, a handy tip is to write a list of things you want out of it, and don't compromise. Top of my list was a view, preferably a sea view, but as long as I looked out of my van window and saw something that told me I was in Anglesey, I'd be happy. I didn't want to look out onto another van, or a bush, or trees, or a playing field, you could be anywhere in the country with those things. I want to know I'm on Anglesey. The wife just wanted a smart van. It took a while, we looked at a good few sites before the one presented itself, but it was worth the effort.

Sorry for the long post, but in case you missed it, I love my van, I love Anglesey, and I get to go whenever I want. I count myself a lucky guy to have been fortunate enough to afford it.

I'm still squirreling away to buy mine on the Algarve to live in when I retire.
Only another 15 years .
Gonna buy a run down one.
Fix it up in the mornings.
Eat bbq fish and drink beer in the sun all afternoon....til I drop.

The prices of these things beggars belief, and the fees.
20 years ago I bought a fully furnished house in France for £29K.
Go two or three times a year for between four and eight weeks at a time.

They are not investments as already said. (static or touring)
They are lifestyle choices. If you are the type that is into it, then it might be worth the money.
A third option is a motorhome.

None of the above are cheap. And i think if most people who do it sat down and really chewed the numbers, most would probably give it up!
Apart from the initial purchase cost. Site fees can really add up. They all need servicing and maintenance. They all depreciate. You need to factor in fuel you will use back and forth each weekend/week. You have to be realistic how often you will really use it. You will want to still go on a foreign holiday.
The upsides can be compelling though.
You start making the effort to get away more often (to justify the costs!). The people on these sites can become friends. Kids just love the freedom these sites can give. Nothing can beat the smell of fresh bacon and sausages wafting around the site early morning while you walk round to the site shop.

Touring caravan:
Lots of vans to suit different budgets. Flexible where you stay. Have transport (the car) to tour around.
Can be very limited space inside. Need somewhere to store it. Will spend more time washing it than using it.

Static caravan:
Massive inside and a real home from home. Can be rented out to reduce running costs. Have transport (the car) to tour around.
Can be VERY expensive. Can have practically no resale value at the end. Site fees are getting frightening and only seem to be getting worse.

Motorhome:
Lots of different options on the market. Very flexible for just weekends or long stays. No towing a caravan around. Slow depreciation. Can be stored at home.
Can be VERY expensive to buy. Needs two types of servicing (van and habitat). Have to take it everywhere for off site trips. Will spend more time washing it than using it.

As already mentioned. The sensible thing to do it rent a static/motorhome when you need to. But these things are bought with the heart, not the brain!

The smart thing to do is buy a holiday home. (bricks and mortar)
Yes, most will probably need to take out a mortgage. There are still costs with running a second home.
If you are the DIY type. Buying a home in need of some fixing up would help reduce costs. They can be rented out if need be.
Overall, the property will rise in value. So it can be a nice nest egg for the future or an asset to leave in your will etc.

Last edited:
I looked at buying a canal boat as an alternative to a static, was discouraged by the general bad feeling towards Peel Holdings and the nearest mooring to south mancs was near Disley. Depreciation is not an issue, compared to vans and m'homes, marina fees are much less than site fees (or were in the northwest, ) and there are lots of firms who hire out to get a taste for life aboard. Since i was looking at costs/convenience etc the government decided that barges cannot used "red" diesel for propulsion so increasing running costs considerably, mooring fees ( charged by length ) have gone up more than inflation and sewage and water fees also. Worth a bit of research imo, the cruisers i spoke to seemed a genuinely decent crowd.

The idea of a static looks great initially, a bolt hole home from home etc. But costs aside, it's the on site 'entertainment', and screaming kids that kills the dream for me.

I have a static on Anglesey, and have to say it's one of the best things me and the missus ever did.

Those who say it's not a good financial investment are correct, you won't make money on them.

However, I didn't buy it as a financial investment, I bought it as an investment in my own happiness and wellbeing, and in those terms it's repaid itself handsomely. As soon as I cross over into the island I can feel my tensions dropping off me. I really love it there. I bought the van new, cost 26k, its a 3 season van, but fully double glazed and central heated. We have 12 month access to our site, which is beautifully located above a bay on the coast so have sea views, the site has basic facilties, which means the yearly fees are very reasonable (a shade over 2k) but is close to the village of Moelfre, so is good for a pub, a chippy, and a small shop.

Because everything is basic, reasonably new and maintained, there is very little to do there other than relax and invest in yourself, you have no choice! A friend of ours has a cottage outside Beaumaris, sure they'll make a few bob in equity when they sell it on, but they spend a hell of a lot of time repairing things (it flooded last winter!) fixing roofs, maintaining and gardening, etc. Best of luck to them, I'll take my van every day of the week.

If you decide to go for it, a handy tip is to write a list of things you want out of it, and don't compromise. Top of my list was a view, preferably a sea view, but as long as I looked out of my van window and saw something that told me I was in Anglesey, I'd be happy. I didn't want to look out onto another van, or a bush, or trees, or a playing field, you could be anywhere in the country with those things. I want to know I'm on Anglesey. The wife just wanted a smart van. It took a while, we looked at a good few sites before the one presented itself, but it was worth the effort.

Sorry for the long post, but in case you missed it, I love my van, I love Anglesey, and I get to go whenever I want. I count myself a lucky guy to have been fortunate enough to afford it.
Off topic but I wanted to chip in.. We recently completed the Anglesey coastal path and I would highly recommend it... I was stationed at RAF Valley for 5 years and saw more of the island on foot doing the walk than I ever did with two rug-rats and whilst working when we lived there...

It renewed my love of the island.. If SWMBO didn't have her challenges health wise that mean we need to be close to Chester or in Cheshire for hospital support then we'd be moving back there... for the moment it will need to be occasional weekends.. Now looking in the Delamere / Tarporley area but it's challenging with the prices there for something out of the ordinary like we have at present. It has to be bricks and mortar so a park home or cabin is out of the question so we are looking for something done to our taste or ideally a project

They are not investments as already said. (static or touring)
They are lifestyle choices. If you are the type that is into it, then it might be worth the money.
A third option is a motorhome.

None of the above are cheap. And i think if most people who do it sat down and really chewed the numbers, most would probably give it up!
Apart from the initial purchase cost. Site fees can really add up. They all need servicing and maintenance. They all depreciate. You need to factor in fuel to you you back and forth each weekend/week. You have to be realistic how often you will really use it. You will want to still go on a foreign holiday.
The upsides can be compelling though.
You start making the effort to get away more often (to justify the costs!). The people on these sites can become friends. Kids just love the freedom these sites can give. Nothing can beat the smell of fresh bacon and sausages wafting around the site early morning while you walk round to the site shop.

Touring caravan:
Lots of vans to suit different budgets. Flexible where you stay. Have transport (the car) to tour around.
Can be very limited space inside. Need somewhere to store it. Will spend more time washing it than using it.

Static caravan:
Massive inside and a real home from home. Can be rented out to reduce running costs. Have transport (the car) to tour around.
Can be VERY expensive. Can have practically no resale value at the end. Site fees are getting frightening and only seem to be getting worse.

Motorhome:
Lots of different options on the market. Very flexible for just weekends or long stays. No towing a caravan around. Slow depreciation. Can be stored at home.
Can be VERY expensive to buy. Needs two types of servicing (van and habitat). Have to take it everywhere for off site trips. Will spend more time washing it than using it.

As already mentioned. The sensible thing to do it rent a static/motorhome when you need to. But these things are bought with the heart, not the brain!

The smart thing to do is buy a holiday home. (bricks and mortar)
Yes, most will probably needs to take out a mortgage. There are still costs with running a second home.
If you are the DIY type. Buying a home in need of some fixing up would help reduce costs. They can be rented out if need be.
Overall, the property will rise in value. So it can be a nice nest egg for the future or an asset to leave in your will etc.

We are looking at the Motorhome option as we have tried a touring van, liked it but now fancy trying a powered version maybe with a Smart Car in tow. I finally convinced SWMBO that we probably can afford it if we consider that is not totally dead money in terms of the outlay. If you assume a depreciation per year and keep the thing in good shape (or change it frequently?) then there will always be a residual value. If you consider it that way then it's not ~£45k you will never get back

I'm hanging my boots up next Easter I think at 56.. I am easily bored but have to stop sometime when the boss and I can still enjoy life... Hearing that investments may start to give even less back than now following a hard Brexit we might as well dive in and tie some cash up in a house on wheels... or find a property in a place we like to visit

I looked at buying a canal boat as an alternative to a static, was discouraged by the general bad feeling towards Peel Holdings and the nearest mooring to south mancs was near Disley. Depreciation is not an issue, compared to vans and m'homes, marina fees are much less than site fees (or were in the northwest, ) and there are lots of firms who hire out to get a taste for life aboard. Since i was looking at costs/convenience etc the government decided that barges cannot used "red" diesel for propulsion so increasing running costs considerably, mooring fees ( charged by length ) have gone up more than inflation and sewage and water fees also. Worth a bit of research imo, the cruisers i spoke to seemed a genuinely decent crowd.
You get two good days when owning a boat, the day you buy it and the day you sell it. I’ve never owned one myself but a bookmaker I knew paid £25k for a small second hand yacht in Majorca, the trouble and expense was ridiculous, he finally got shut for roughly £10k about three years later. Unless you are completely minted a boat is not a good option.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.