Boddingtons Bitter

I remember the Strawberry Duck had a fantastic pint of Boddies in it, way before City moved into the area, no idea if they still serve it.

Crabtree Lane, just off Ashton New Road.

Boddies changed even when at Strangeways. First bitter I really got into. I seem to remember a certain point when the local CAMRA mag was full of complaints about the change in taste. The recipe was reckoned to have altered to try and appeal to more people or to be less susceptible to bad keeping in the pub. And then it got pasteurized .

Boddies changed even when at Strangeways. First bitter I really got into. I seem to remember a certain point when the local CAMRA mag was full of complaints about the change in taste. The recipe was reckoned to have altered to try and appeal to more people or to be less susceptible to bad keeping in the pub. And then it got pasteurized .
Boddies acquired Oldham Brewey around 40 years ago, the OB mild was my favourite pint as a young lad, my mates Dad ran a club, the Beaconsfield in Ashton-Under-Lyne and kept it slightly chilled. Once it moved to Boddies at Strangeways they just couldn’t get the formula right and they eventually stopped brewing the OB brand. Apparently they couldn’t replicate the yeast which at Oldham was cultivated in a cellar, I’m guessing the same happened when Boddies moved to Wales.

Hand drawn Boddies was a great pint and unlike others on here I never had a hangover after a good few pints. The beer we drink these days is shite by comparison although a well kept Caffreys is not too shabby.

Boddies acquired Oldham Brewey around 40 years ago, the OB mild was my favourite pint as a young lad, my mates Dad ran a club, the Beaconsfield in Ashton-Under-Lyne and kept it slightly chilled. Once it moved to Boddies at Strangeways they just couldn’t get the formula right and they eventually stopped brewing the OB brand. Apparently they couldn’t replicate the yeast which at Oldham was cultivated in a cellar, I’m guessing the same happened when Boddies moved to Wales.

Hand drawn Boddies was a great pint and unlike others on here I never had a hangover after a good few pints. The beer we drink these days is shite by comparison although a well kept Caffreys is not too shabby.
I just couldn’t get the, “it gave me a hangover”.
I started drinking in the mid 70s and it was the best pint by far and never gave me a hangover. Decently brewed beer shouldn’t give you a hangover, it’s the chemicals they put in today’s shite that does.

The stuff today, especially the shite served under the name 'Pub Ale' in the US, is not a patch on what it once was.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.