Graduation

Fred_Quimby

I am just an old git but...it wasn’t long ago when we followed the yanks and had graduation ceremonies after Uni and prom balls. I can understand that as it is a huge turning point in people’s lives from full time education into the outside world of work. Then it started after sixth form and again the same argument but most are/were going onto Uni so big grey area. Then it was after Y11 and most people now have to go onto some sort of education afterwards even if the go into work. Now it has gone down to Primary school and this is now getting ridiculous. Going from Primary to Secondary education requires a ‘graduation’ and ‘prom’. If that doesn’t take the biscuit my (just) 4 year old grandson has just ‘graduated’ from pre-school complete with cap and certificate AND a prom tonight. Absolutely ridiculous. Can we no longer have children just being children? None of the kids today had really any clue what it was all about. Struck me as being just something for the parents, making the kids jump through hoops.

Could be worse I suppose. My daughter lives in NZ and after children are born they are invited to get together for support and guidance for the first year of babies life, a great idea, but; yes you’ve guessed it, they have a graduation at the grand old age of 1year old.

I feel that we do not allow kids to grow up in their own time and most of this is pandering to parents to show how ‘grown up’ Johnie or Jemima are.

I am just an old git but...it wasn’t long ago when we followed the yanks and had graduation ceremonies after Uni and prom balls. I can understand that as it is a huge turning point in people’s lives from full time education into the outside world of work. Then it started after sixth form and again the same argument but most are/were going onto Uni so big grey area. Then it was after Y11 and most people now have to go onto some sort of education afterwards even if the go into work. Now it has gone down to Primary school and this is now getting ridiculous. Going from Primary to Secondary education requires a ‘graduation’ and ‘prom’. If that doesn’t take the biscuit my (just) 4 year old grandson has just ‘graduated’ from pre-school complete with cap and certificate AND a prom tonight. Absolutely ridiculous. Can we no longer have children just being children? None of the kids today had really any clue what it was all about. Struck me as being just something for the parents, making the kids jump through hoops.

Could be worse I suppose. My daughter lives in NZ and after children are born they are invited to get together for support and guidance for the first year of babies life, a great idea, but; yes you’ve guessed it, they have a graduation at the grand old age of 1year old.

I feel that we do not allow kids to grow up in their own time and most of this is pandering to parents to show how ‘grown up’ Johnie or Jemima are.
Spot on mate, kids are herded through childhood these days..

Fuck, don't get me started on the subject of proms.

Just another money making/extorting exercise. My son recently had his year 11 prom. Cost us about £200 all in - suit, shirt, shoes, prom ticket etc etc

Mind you i read an article recently about families who think nothing of spending a grand on their kid's prom.

Fuck off USA!

I'd say, as a parent that has gone through all this shite, that most of the parents don't want to do it but there's that little voice nagging away at the back of the mind that by NOT complying, you're in the wrong; a rebel, even, but you're rebelling through your child - which seems wrong! You can't win and most people just comply because it's easier, especially as the child doesn't understand why they are being 'parented' - (sorry) - differently.

Never had these when I were a lad.

I went to Ashton Grammar from 1961 - 68, and after the last "A" level exam had been taken, we arranged for a "celebration" at the world famous, wait for it, Kumfy Club at Hurst Cross! Not the first time I'd been pissed, but never in such (ahem) luxurious surroundings.

Unfortunately, both of my girls went to their school "prom", for which we had to fork out a bloody horrendous wad of cash.
What a complete waste of time and money that was.

I imagine that graduation ceremonies at European universities pre date those at North American universities, though the form of the latter has somewhat shaped that of the former.

Fucking school prom? Who wants to go to a party with no drink?

When I left school at 15 in 2008 you seriously think I didn’t get absolutely wankered?

My mate turned up with a pack of 20 fags, asked me to look in and it was full of spliffs.

Also had it at the Etihad which was mega.

When I left school at 15 in 2008 you seriously think I didn’t get absolutely wankered?

My mate turned up with a pack of 20 fags, asked me to look in and it was full of spliffs.

Also had it at the Etihad which was mega.
Just going off what I see on telly. when I left school it was party after the last exam no fuming about hiring suits and limos.

I think I preferred it that way rather than some American excuse for taking my money

Never had these when I were a lad.

I went to Ashton Grammar from 1961 - 68, and after the last "A" level exam had been taken, we arranged for a "celebration" at the world famous, wait for it, Kumfy Club at Hurst Cross! Not the first time I'd been pissed, but never in such (ahem) luxurious surroundings.

Unfortunately, both of my girls went to their school "prom", for which we had to fork out a bloody horrendous wad of cash.
What a complete waste of time and money that was.
Never had these when I was a lad, only finished school in 2005

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.