Who Will Fill Our Home Grown Hole?

Wait how can Angeliño be club trained if he's not homegrown? Homegrown is three years in the nation, club trained is three years at the club. Surely he must be both?
He's both but will only take one squad place so will be counted as club trained so we still have a homegrown space if needed.

I was under the impression that you can use "club trained" players as part of the 4 "nation trained" players, as they would qualify for that because the criteria is actually less strict.

In other words we can go with:

Stones, Walker, Raz

Angelino, Foden (actually we don't HAVE to register him) + 3 other academy players

and meet the requirements.

The rules are a maximum form each category - there is no minimum so we have no issue in going with what we have got.

We don’t need a squad of 25 senior players, and I’m pretty sure Pep prefers working with a smaller squad anyway. If we did have 25 players we’d have to leave out at least 7 players from each matchday squad (assuming no injuries or suspensions of course).

Correct. 2 players for every position is a squad of 22 senior players, that is about right. The Match Day squad is 18, leaving out more than 4 a weak is when problems start.

Wait how can Angeliño be club trained if he's not homegrown? Homegrown is three years in the nation, club trained is three years at the club. Surely he must be both?
Club trained is a sub-set of locally trained. To summarise my scenario:
Rodri for Vinny
McGuire for Delph
Cancelo for Danilo
Otamendi for Isiego
Jumpers for Goalposts
I was under the impression that you can use "club trained" players as part of the 4 "nation trained" players, as they would qualify for that because the criteria is actually less strict.

In other words we can go with:

Stones, Walker, Raz

Angelino, Foden (actually we don't HAVE to register him) + 3 other academy players

and meet the requirements.
The CL squad A list rules are: 25 places maximum. 17 places free of restriction and 8 locally trained - 4 of which must be club trained. We currently have a senior squad of 21 with no free list vacancies but 3 club trained places and 1 locally (Association) trained place vacant. The PL rules mirror UEFA's except they define locally trained as 'home grown' (trained in England or Wales Associations) for the relevant period but with no club restrictions. Similar there are none for under 21s either but the CL B list has eligibility criteria.

Last edited:
The real issue is that with Vinny and Delph leaving we can only plug those squad gaps with home grown.
As Vinny's place already take in the squad by Rodri (overseas). You could say that Angelino has filled the Delph role so only a CB down so maybe no need to get anyone.
We are still being linked with every man and his dog but we need to sell before we can buy anyone from overseas.

If Otamendi goes we can replace with a foreign spot.

Rodri : Vinny
Angelino : Delph
Nico : Foreigner
Danilo: Foreigner

Last edited:
Club trained is a sub-set of locally trained. To summarise my scenario:
Rodri for Vinny
McGuire for Delph
Cancelo for Danilo
Otamendi for Isiego
Jumpers for Goalposts
The CL squad A list rules are 25 maximum. 17 places free of restriction and 8 locally trained - 4 of which must be club trained. We currently have a senior squad of 21 with no free list vacancies but 3 club trained places and 1 locally (Association) trained place vacant. The PL rules mirror UEFA's except they define locally trained as 'home grown' (trained in England or Wales Associations) for the relevant period but with no club restrictions. Similar there are none for under 21s either but the CL B list has eligibility criteria.

I actually understand the HG rule differences between CL and the PL mate. I don't speak overly assertive mostly to be respectful to those who know the rules. The only misunderstanding I recently had was a glitch in FM (Yes, that's how I learned how the rules work, but it's a good way to tbh) that somehow led me to think u23s don't need to be registered rather than u21s. Otherwise I get it.

Cheers for the breakdown though.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.