"The Athletic" launches in the UK | About to be bought by NYT for $550m (p 32)

Wonder if they'll be objective or just be a united platform to spew the usual American backed bile against us.

Still, at least it's ok for Dippers and media alike to take the money.
Despite the American ownership of United and Liverpool, my experience of the football media over here is that it seems a lot more balanced than in England.

I'm a member already for their baseball coverage and it is fantastic. Just proper writers, writing proper articles, very little click bait bullshit. Lots of in depth stories on players backgrounds and the like, then good team by team coverage from good beat reporters.

Whether football actually has enough good writers to pull this off, I guess we'll see. Even the better ones tend to be pretty awful at times, whereas baseball has always been a sport reported on by probably the best of all the sports writers

I'm a member already for their baseball coverage and it is fantastic. Just proper writers, writing proper articles, very little click bait bullshit. Lots of in depth stories on players backgrounds and the like, then good team by team coverage from good beat reporters.

Whether football actually has enough good writers to pull this off, I guess we'll see. Even the better ones tend to be pretty awful at times, whereas baseball has always been a sport reported on by probably the best of all the sports writers

Hopefully free of the most likely bullshit metrics based approach they currently work under they'll get to write some good pieces. Must be a nightmare writing a piece knowing it has to have a certain amount of readers staying on page for a certain amount of time etc.

You still have excellent sports writers and reporters in the USA. Most of the sports journalists in the UK are totally shite. They just twist and re-hash quotes from press conferences and other people's social media accounts. There are a few good ones but most of them are incapable of finding or developing exclusive or unique content. There is virtually no intelligent football coverage in this country. We have no dedicated sports papers and only one radio station which is truly dreadful. The Athletic would have done better if it recruited some new talent instead of a bunch of has-beens.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.