It's Quiet 32 - enter at own risk

He hasnt played more than 25 league games in any of the last 3 seasons. He is 36. I think the issue would be whether he thinks he'll play in the big games.

Fair enough.

Still, no sense in the transfer, and no real interest reported by anyone.

It makes sense in light of Walkers new contract. Hes probably one of, if not the highest paid fullback in the world. It never really made sense to bring Cancelo in along side him. Alves would likely be happy getting only 20-25 games at his age.

I could see him being very useful against teams that park the bus, and as a more offensive minded sub when we're chasing games.

Why? They are different types of fullbacks. It's clear to me Walker is just a defensive FB. He's used to mainly because of his pace to help stop counters and occasionally fly down the wing to provide a cross. He's not a very good inverted FB who will basically tuck in and be more of a CM in possession like Zinchenko does. Cancelo can do the inverted roll if Pep wants to attack down the right side, but what we would need is balance on the left to help stop counter attacks. Danilo wasn't great in the inverted RB as well. This is something that Alves could do although I agree at his age we shouldn't be in for him.

Why? They are different types of fullbacks. It's clear to me Walker is just a defensive FB. He's used to mainly because of his pace to help stop counters and occasionally fly down the wing to provide a cross. He's not a very good inverted FB who will basically tuck in and be more of a CM in possession like Zinchenko does. Cancelo can do the inverted roll if Pep wants to attack down the right side, but what we would need is balance on the left to help stop counter attacks. Danilo wasn't great in the inverted RB as well. This is something that Alves could do although I agree at his age we shouldn't be in for him.

I agree that Walker is a limited player. Personally I think hes a glaring weakness, and probably the easiest position for us improve upon.

But apperently the powers that be feel differently. The type of financial commitment that Walker was given is a statement. It doesnt really make sense to bring in another top RB in his prime to "challenge" a guy you think is world class.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.