Away tickets

what is the corporate intensive for away tickets anyway. i doubt many deals have been made stood in the pissing rain in Sheffield...

On reflection, I don’t think the new system is going to make that much difference in the short term (apart from those inconvenienced by the collection) and will gradually become fairer, once those at the top of the ladder (presumably aged 50+) start to pick and choose their away games rather than attending every fixture.

For the moment they’ll still have first bite at the cherry, whilst the points whores (if they really do exist) will not benefit from buying and selling their tickets for the less attractive games, merely to qualify for the Old Trafford derby.

What it won’t change (and this is far more prevalent than points whoring) is supporters occasionally buying and selling their tickets to mates when they’re unable to attend themselves.

Of course I’ll be the first to complain if I’m selected for collecting my ticket at Old Trafford or Anfield, but whilst intending to ensure that the tickets are distributed to the right people, I suspect that those supporters using the points of mates who no longer attend (or possibly even deceased relatives) will be feeling far more uncomfortable than me.

Whether it's really necessary is another matter.

Just read the OS statement briefly.

The club have played a blinder on this one.

No away points.

But points for all home games, including cup games.

So, now I’m forced to rejoin the FA Cup and League Cup schemes that I decided to drop out of, to make up missing out on the now stopped away points.

Prestwich Blue.

Not going to call you. You can’t win.

And I know you don’t post on here anymore.

So I would like you to forward a reply from the club on to Ric or to a Mod, please.

Can you find out from the club if the Collect in Destination checks also apply to Tunnel Club members and other corp members, or is it only season ticket holders?

I stand corrected on this, but don’t Tunnel Club Members get 1 away ticket each? If so, where are they ending up, because I’m 99% sure most of those away tickets don’t get used by the Tunnel Club members. They are either sold or passed on. Do the checks include sponsors as well, who get free away tickets?

Can you also ask the club to explain why resale ticket sites manage to get hold of away tickets and sell them on at inflated prices. The club are fully aware of this, and always have been. Can you ask the club what they are actively doing to stop this, because it is still going on.

If the club are doing random checks on season ticket holders, they should be doing random checks on Tunnel Club members, corporates, and sponsors, or are they not being randomly checked?

I look forward to your reply.

Many thanks.
And I'd like to see that in writing too, not just a yes, and that's it.

As I don't trust any of the fuckers.

This has clearly been thought through by people with the mathematical intellect of a brick. It doesn't help anyone other than those already at the top of the points scheme whom it actually helps more not less as they can now (if they choose) only go to the more popular games leaving those that struggle to sell out without affecting their position. I guess that is the problem with getting an average Joe Bloggs to think these things through
Most people agree the issue is that demand is far greater for certain games (Liverpool/Utd/Bournemouth etc etc) and far less for games like Newcastle away midweek (apart from me - as thats my closest game...). And therefore the solution is to create more fairness
However : -
People who think they are getting 'further behind' in the existing system by not being able to buy certain away tickets simply don't understand basic maths.
If you can not buy a ticket for a game because of your points tally - then nor can anybody else on your points tally. You may be numerically further behind in terms of points at the end of the season (perhaps 10000 off top rather than 9000) but you are no further away in terms of numbers of people between you and the top and thats what matters
If we assume that this is 'points whores' - they are still going to buy tickets for Utd/Liverpool etc because they are more than likely going to go or, if they are inclined that way - flog on for a profit. And now they can never be caught because their points advantage is completely impenetrable
Perhaps this is step one and step two is to re-evaluate everybody in a year or two based upon how many aways they bought in the last couple of years. That would be slightly fairer although I doubt thought through

Yeah I agree with that.

Not sure why they don’t just do a ballot.

I’m glad younger people will have a better chance though, our away crowds have got quieter recently and it’s the same old faces stood with arms folded.
Totally agree mate as much as they annoyed quite a few people the blue alliance used to take a bus or two every game and when they died out it got noticeably quieter in the away ends.

I never went to games with them and i'm not under 25 either before anyone gets upset.

As anyone who has read my previous posts on this topic, you can imagine my general disappointment that what we had feared regarding what was suggested over the past few months by City Matters has been brought in.

There is so much scaremongering regarding the dreaded "points whore" that I really think those that think it's as rampant as reported are the ones who are quite far out of touch with the regular away support at City.

The point has been hammered by me and others previously on this thread and the previous thread we've had on the topic - the only time points become an issue is when people believe they should get tickets for Old Trafford or Anfield or a more desirable cup game.

Points is not an issue when we've got *insert the many games that went to general sale last season*.

In the most successful season City have had in our 125 year history, we struggled to sell out plenty of away games. We have what 45,000 season ticket holders? And we're generally populated in a certain region. I get it that Newcastle away midweek might be difficult for you - hey I couldn't get that one off work either - but the image of 1,000's clamouring to be in City away ends but being kept out due to some fat cats who buy tickets purely to sell them on Facebook has been exaggerated in your head.

Sure, I guarantee that there will be someone out there on 26k points who has done the hard graft a few years ago but now is buying tickets so his mate from the local can go. And I'm sure there has been someone who looks at Burnley away thinking "I can get a ticket for that, but I'm away that weekend... oh well I'll get one and sell it so I get the points", but these people are few and far between. And on that second example, and bringing myself into this - I may not get any points for tickets now, but I know I'll get a Bournemouth away ticket - if someone I know wants one I can still buy it and pass it on, yeah there may be a risk of a collection but he can borrow my I.D. if he wants, afterall, it's a picture of me as an 18 year old and I'm 31 now.

An issue for me, and seemingly a lot of others, is that our group, those with the points seem to be the ones that are only guilty of doing any wrong when the vast majority of us are that hardcore that were in half empty away ends before the cash rolled in.

Supporters Clubs for years - and I know because I used to run one - will oversubscribe the interest for a game. Norwich away for example in September. 20 members wants to go. So the Supporters Club will tell the club they've got 28 members who want to go, if they get more than 20 they will be able to shift it somewhere. These 20 members can be anyone. I've had it in the past where "Liam, my cousin for Canada is coming over, could you apply for a ticket on a member who isn't goings ticket?" this person hadn't even watched a game of football before but they got a ticket for a game that sold out in the 13/14 season.

The internal tickets too - of course you're probably gonna get Gabriel Jesus' entourage in the away end at Stamford Bridge, but Bournemouth last season and Wigan in the FA Cup the year before (both games that sold out before general sale - on high points for the case of Bournemouth) I was stood on a row with about 20 empty seats around me, with Aguero's Dad and son stood behind me.

You've seen it plenty of times on here where someone with points will say "well I got to this point because I was doing Watford away midweek" and someone without points will respond "well it's not that easy with work and other commitments" or words to that effect. So now that no points are being given do you think that changes anything? Points shouldn't be a reason to go - I get that - but working your way up the system and staying on top is a driving factor with going, you cannot escape that fact.

I'm in a position of being first day of sale with the majority of away tickets and this system does not change that for me. I could not bother all season and next year I'm still at the top of the tree, so really I should be laughing at those who think this is a good idea because their chances of getting a ticket for Old Trafford have increased by a few %, but it is completely unfair on all those who have known and adhered to a system which the club has had in place for close to 20 years. Those "whores" aren't gonna start going now, but they may still buy a ticket because their mates all know they have points. If you have a season ticket and you're on holiday for a home game, you'll pass it to someone you know who hasn't got a ticket so they can have a day out, wouldn't you? Why would it be any different for away games?

And I've barely even mentioned ticket collections.
An excellent post full of honesty about the whole away ticket situation.
There will be a lot of smug Supporters Club posters denying what you’ve posted. I’ve been a member of a supporter’s club since the early 70s and I know exactly what goes on there, with independent fans and with Corporate.
But, like you said, it’s the loyalty points holders that have been targeted by the club and the reps on City Matters.

Next year they’ll just stop our allocation and give them to the other groups to control and abuse.

Like it or not, random collections work. Would you be willing to give your ticket to a mate and knowing you could face consequences if you don’t pick it up?

I'm just not sure it's necessary given that loyalty points are no longer awarded for aways. If someone's passing on a ticket after the abolition of away points, I suspect it's probably because they can no longer go.

Apart from that though, I think the changes are absolutely a step in the right direction and PB should be applauded for that although it is a little unfair imo how supporters clubs allocations aren't affected either, and I think there's other issues that arise but I think the system now is better than what it was.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.