Bluemoon Angling Thread

Match Report from back in bed.

What a great night’s fishing, on a perfect warm, calm summer evening. I was catching from the off as you can see above. As the sun set, a Little Egret stalked the shallows right in front of me. Then as it got dark, a barn owl appeared and started shreiking all over the river. I was trying to photograph it and the upstream rod screamed off for the first time.

This was a battle and I eventually landed a beautiful, lean, spawned out fish of 10lb 10oz, my first Ribble double for a couple of years. As I lifted the net I looked up and right above the opposite bank a red lunar eclipse rose. It was a lovely moment.

I then lost two barbel on the trot through hook pulls. I fished on and was getting tired. I gave it until 11.30pm and at 11.29pm, with everything packed away, I was away again and playing the fish in darkness. Sod’s law, and I half expected it, the other rod screamed off. All you can do is leave it and net and release the first hooked fish as quickly as possible.

I landed both and they were both smaller fish in the 5-7lb bracket. Time for home, having really enjoyed this trip, because of the 5 barbel but also because of the eclipse rising above me for the whole time.

The water was like bath water tonight, and it was really important to rest all the fish until they recovered, before returning.
Reads like a naturalist's dream, obviously not wasted on your good self. The egret reminded of coots's habit of stalking the margins in full stealth mode, then suddenly panicing noisily right under the rod; sphincter testing time....Once put my hand in the maggot bowl, and a vole was bingeing on them, hard to say who was most surprised.
Great post, for some of us just being there is enough, double figure barbel though is some bonus....

What a great night’s fishing, on a perfect warm, calm summer evening. I was catching from the off as you can see above. As the sun set, a Little Egret stalked the shallows right in front of me. Then as it got dark, a barn owl appeared and started shreiking all over the river. I was trying to photograph it and the upstream rod screamed off for the first time.

This was a battle and I eventually landed a beautiful, lean, spawned out fish of 10lb 10oz, my first Ribble double for a couple of years. As I lifted the net I looked up and right above the opposite bank a red lunar eclipse rose. It was a lovely moment.

I then lost two barbel on the trot through hook pulls. I fished on and was getting tired. I gave it until 11.30pm and at 11.29pm, with everything packed away, I was away again and playing the fish in darkness. Sod’s law, and I half expected it, the other rod screamed off. All you can do is leave it and net and release the first hooked fish as quickly as possible.

I landed both and they were both smaller fish in the 5-7lb bracket. Time for home, having really enjoyed this trip, because of the 5 barbel but also because of the eclipse rising above me for the whole time.

The water was like bath water tonight, and it was really important to rest all the fish until they recovered, before returning.
Sounds like a great session mate, the type that makes you realise all your past hard work had come into fruition. Wildlife and a lunar eclipse too, nice one: )

Sounds like a wonderful session mate.

On ferry back from Ireland. Fish-wise, only one bream between the 3 of us but 11 tench up to 4.4. Fishing was pretty poor generally though.

Weather was usual Irish fare, blisteringly hot on a couple of days and rainy on the others. Got caught out in the boat on Loch Oughter last night in a storm of biblical proportions that had the three of us singing "For those in peril on the sea"

Managed to lose one of my neoprene lined Le Chameau wellies on Tuesday and had to borrow a pair of rubber riggers from the guy we were staying with. Fortunately, the wellie turned up on Thursday in Killashandra which was a bonus. Must have fallen out of the van when we stopped for a loaf.

Anyone been out ? Either too hot or too blinking wet !! My mate, having had our June trip to the Wye adversely impacted by the weather decided to try again and has booked Thursday, Friday this week.

As if that wasn't bad enough, the same lad booked two days golf at Gleneagles a couple of weeks ago and lost the second day when the course was closed due to bad weather.

Getting an itchy casting finger now.

Anyone been out ? Either too hot or too blinking wet !! My mate, having had our June trip to the Wye adversely impacted by the weather decided to try again and has booked Thursday, Friday this week.

As if that wasn't bad enough, the same lad booked two days golf at Gleneagles a couple of weeks ago and lost the second day when the course was closed due to bad weather.

Getting an itchy casting finger now.
I'm on the Wye tomorrow and Saturday with my good buddy @snorky . He tells me it's fishing well. Will report back.

I'm on the Wye tomorrow and Saturday with my good buddy @snorky . He tells me it's fishing well. Will report back.

Yeah, my mate's down there now and says its in good nick. Surprising given that, at the same time, his parents are being threatened with evacuation thanks to the River Bollin bursting its banks.

Let us know how you go on. I'm booked down there on 19/20th

Yeah, my mate's down there now and says its in good nick. Surprising given that, at the same time, his parents are being threatened with evacuation thanks to the River Bollin bursting its banks.

Let us know how you go on. I'm booked down there on 19/20th
Will do mate. Snorky said it's carrying about 6" extra water which is good, as long as it doesn't get too coloured. Bought a set of Korum digital scales and weigh sling. Not christened them yet. Hoping to beat my PB 10lb-2oz barbel: )

Will do mate. Snorky said it's carrying about 6" extra water which is good, as long as it doesn't get too coloured. Bought a set of Korum digital scales and weigh sling. Not christened them yet. Hoping to beat my PB 10lb-2oz barbel: )

For those who are interested, my brother and another mate are fishing the Llangollen canal today after roach. Biggest 14 ozs today but they've previously had a good number well over the pound. Boats disrupting things as usual at this time of year so I think I'll wait til October before venturing over there.

Anyway, you catch that big one !

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.