Brian Clough

balotellishaircut

Team supported
City
its 15 years this year since his death, arguably the greatest British manager for his achievements with Derby and particurly Forest, did anyone ever meet this great man or what are your thoughts on "Cloughie"

its 15 years this year since his death, arguably the greatest British manager for his achievements with Derby and particurly Forest, did anyone ever meet this great man or what are your thoughts on "Cloughie"
Wasn't fantastic by himself but with Peter Taylor they were incredible. A loss for England not giving these 2 the England managers job(s).

Always asked myself in the dim, distant 'n dark days why we couldn't have a manager like that, or players like that. Just shows - wish hard enough and it might work!

Last edited:
Wasn't fantastic by himself but with Peter Taylor they were incredible. A loss for England not giving these 2 the England managers job(s).
So true, when Cloughie went to Leeds without Taylor look how that worked out, after Leeds they joined up again at Forest and the rest is history, although the not speaking for years n years was really sad.

Met him in the Forest dressing room when they were playing away at Leeds. Class act.

You can learn a lot from a man when you see how he treats people in private. Total respect for him.
Go on tell us more, how did you manage to get in the dressing room?

For what it's worth having been brought up in the 60's and 70's he symbolizes old school football, long before Sky TV and 5-30 kick offs on a Saturday.

My wife and my sister met him on 13 April 1992. That was the day after United beat Forest in the League Cup Final. I was fourth official at Old Trafford, in the United Res v Forest Res game in the Central League. My memories of that were Ferguson and Clough both still drunk after the day before. Some players looked a bit worse for wear also. I can't remember the score, but United either won or drew. At the end of the game I met the three officials and was walking off, and Jim Ryan, the United Coach, pulled some of his players away from us officials as we were shaking hands with the players after the game. He told them not to shake hands with us as we were scum. There was nothing contentious in the game, and I'll never forget what an odious man Jim Ryan was. To their credit, the United players ignored him.

Anyway, my wife and sister were waiting for me outside OT at the player's entrance. The Forest coach was waiting also, and Cloughie asked my wife and sister who they were waiting for. They told him. He went back onto the coach, brought out a big box full of Cadbury's chocolate bars, and let them choose one each. It was a very nice gesture, and we all respected him for it.

Great manager it was very sad to see him at the end when alcohol took over. A great character and always supported any player who gave him 100%

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.