Nationalisation..

The same trains currently being used (they only repaint / rebrand them when the franchise changes). We would continue to lease them from the ROSCO's (I know its amazing isn't it ... we give the rolling stock to three companies in 1994 and then pay to lease them back ...... because Conservatives)

http://www.rail.co.uk/rail-news/2015/who-really-owns-britains-trains/
You would have to buy back the rolling stock or leave that part in private hands and lease.

You would have to buy back the rolling stock or leave that part in private hands and lease.

As expensive as a franchise with a load of dead weight stock they will not use again want to make from it, but they will hardly willing to want over the odds prices and lose any chance on making money from it.

Also a lot of stock is getting old, it is about time we invested in industries to build n produce new stock in britain, and utilise the skilled workforces we have when other industries shut down.

Last edited:
The last time I read Labour's nationalisations will cost in excess of £250bn.

So okay let's ignore profit and loss however if you want those nationalisations then you have to put taxes up, make cuts elsewhere or have ticket prices priced to pay for it... Which will it be?

Assuming you will run it at a loss then you will just add to debt but the elephant in the room is we already have a debt that costs us more per year in interest than we spend on defence.

This is for the sake of what, a ticket that costs £5 instead of £15? Lol
How much profit do those nationalised industries make?

As expensive as a franchise with a load of dead weight stock they will not use again want to make from it, but they will hardly willing to want over the odds pricesand los eany chance on makin gmoney from it.

Also a lot of stock is getting old, it is about time we invested in industries to build n produce new stock in britain, and utilise the skilled workforces we have when other industries shut down.
Uk train manufacture is undergoing a revival, with new factories planned in S.Wales and the NE.
https://www.ibisworld.co.uk/industr...quipment/railway-equipment-manufacturing.html

Which is exactly what I said. I said that it is entirely possible to have an effective airline that is nationalised and a private one (otherwise why would I have corrected the original poster that Qantas and Lufthansa are private?). What you said was that "every one of the top 10 airlines in the world is privately owned." Which is blatantly false and has been proven wrong on this thread.

Yeah, a communist dictatorship hell bent on maintaining an iron grip by not showing any weakness. Whereas my example of Fukushima happened in a developed country far more similar economically to the the UK currently. Nobody is arguing that we should be running things like the Soviet Union. Plenty of people argue that having a system like modern day Japan is always more effective.

Yes and the Fukushima reports revealed that one of the main contributors to the failure to take active safety measures was that it would leave the company vulnerable to lawsuits. Better to maintain a coherent message denying that there is any potential danger. We've seen this from private companies time and time again with smoking, sugar, use of dangerous chemicals, and plenty of other health catastrophes. Again, none of this is an argument against private companies generally being a positive thing, just against this bullshit dogmatic argument that private = good, public = bad.

Similarly with trains, as I mentioned earlier, there are countries with good private trains and countries with good national rail providers, and plenty with shit versions of each too. Nationalisation isn't the silver bullet that some think it is, but that doesn't mean it shouldn't be on the table because some idiots believe that everything is better run by a private company, despite all of the evidence to the contrary.

Who said anything of the sort?

I never said privatisation was better, in an ideal world of course nationalisation would be better. We don't however live in an ideal world.

If I see something credible like a plan for nationalisation then I will support it. But where is this plan? So far as I can see Labour will spend £250bn on 'something' and that will apparently just give us a fully functional highly efficient and cheap rail network.

The reason why this will happen is apparently just 'because' it is nationalised, no-one knows how it will work or whether it will work but it just will work apparently!

Anyway I'm going to go and buy a new car, I know roughly how much it costs but I don't know if its in good knick or anything. It might not even have wheels, I don't even know if I can afford it or even drive it but anyway off I go to buy it! Oh I'm also using your money to do it if that's okay?

If the state ran a café, it would be closed 12:00 - 14:00 for staff to take their lunch. The Unions would strike, demanding an extra lunch hour hour on elf n safety grounds. Outside those hours, customers would be welcome on payment of a compulsory 25% service charge to pay for ill health early retirement at age 50. Management would be cowering in the bog, checking for a pair of bollocks in the misted mirror while secretly hoping for the same deal.

Meanwhile the regulator gives an “outstanding” rating, allows the top brass a tasty bonus and picks up an OBE for 30 years’ stagnation (excluding 5 years on paid sick leave) in a failing organisation.

Bring it fcukin on.

Last edited:
If the state ran a café, it would be closed 12:00 - 14:00 for staff to take their lunch. The Unions would strike, demanding an extra lunch hour hour on elf n safety grounds. Outside those hours, customers would be welcome on payment of a compulsory 25% service charge to pay for ill health early retirement at age 50. Management would be cowering in the bog, checking for a pair of bollocks in the misted mirror while secretly hoping for the same deal.

Meanwhile the regulator gives an “outstanding” rating, allows the top brass a tasty bonus and picks up an OBE for 30 years’ stagnation (excluding 5 years on paid sick leave) in a failing organisation.

Bring it fcukin on.

Nonsense

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.