Brian Clough

I was on the books at Leeds and we used to tidy the dressing rooms (picking up towels and such) while the players were getting ready before and after the match.

I was walking around tidying up their mess when, as I approached a player standing on the bench (didn’t all have their own closets back then!), rather than hand me the towel, he threw it on the floor at my feet.

Cloughie was walking around talking to the players and saw this and told the “star” to get down, pick it up, and hand it to me.

I was a 16 yr old nobody and nothing, yet he treated me as a valuable human being and made a supposed “someone” be more human in front of everyone.

I’ll never forget it.
Cheers for answering that Chicago Blue, what a great story.

Not on the same level as some of the great stories on here, but on one occasion, Mrs Vienna and her dad were on a coach that arrived at the City Ground. The local Dibble ushered them in, saying that they could find their seats at halftime and they ended up right behind the Forest bench.

As the game went on, Mrs Vienna’s dad got more and more animated and started shouting things like, "Come on, City, you can have this lot," and swearing.

Cloughie must have had enough of this, so he turned around and told him to shut up.

Mrs Vienna’s dad always referred to Brian as his 'mate' after that.

I was on the books at Leeds and we used to tidy the dressing rooms (picking up towels and such) while the players were getting ready before and after the match.

I was walking around tidying up their mess when, as I approached a player standing on the bench (didn’t all have their own closets back then!), rather than hand me the towel, he threw it on the floor at my feet.

Cloughie was walking around talking to the players and saw this and told the “star” to get down, pick it up, and hand it to me.

I was a 16 yr old nobody and nothing, yet he treated me as a valuable human being and made a supposed “someone” be more human in front of everyone.

I’ll never forget it.

Great story. That just shows the mark of the man, IMHO.

Our manager Jimmy Armfield went to Leeds to replace Clough.

So we were without a manager and Clough was without a job.

He ended up at Forest who were a smaller club than Bolton back then.

They pipped us to promotion a couple of seasons later and then went on to win the First Division the season after, followed by back to back European Cups.

If only...

If only the FA weren't a bunch of Masonic farmers from the 70s onwards, then Clough would have been England manager no doubt. He didn't fall in line with the club and therefore wasn't invited into the club. Shame because he could have transformed the national side. Great manager, you only have to look at what he worked with - he turned donkeys into racehorses.

Got to go against the flow here.

A piss artist who was nothing without Taylor.

If only the FA weren't a bunch of Masonic farmers from the 70s onwards, then Clough would have been England manager no doubt. He didn't fall in line with the club and therefore wasn't invited into the club. Shame because he could have transformed the national side. Great manager, you only have to look at what he worked with - he turned donkeys into racehorses.

He won the European Cup with a bunch of rejects. Ian Bowyer, Larry Lloyd, Kenny Burns, John Robertson, etc.

Clough was a genius. His Forest team came out of the second division and took the Divison 1 title by storm. I will never forget the way they destroyed the Rags at Old Trafford. It was the biggest hammering they had ever had till we did them 6-1.

Clough was a genius. His Forest team came out of the second division and took the Divison 1 title by storm. I will never forget the way they destroyed the Rags at Old Trafford. It was the biggest hammering they had ever had till we did them 6-1.
yep,4nil Forest in their own back yard.Lovely.
The story behind that game is important...Clough had been vying for the England managers job along with Ron Greenwood..The FA decision to gIve the job to Greenwood was announced as Forest travelled up to old Old Trafford for the mid week first division fixture.These forest players of course had had their careers transformed by Clough..and Taylor...2nd division also rans,turned into a promotion winning team..none of those players wanted that particular journey to end..they had started their 1st season back in the top league really well,and now faced having the man who had turned their lives around,being nicked by England mid season...The forest players were told Clough was staying as they arrived at old trafford....those same journeymen players went out onto the old trafford pitch and smashed utd 4nil ...so relieved that they had held onto their manager...who of course went on to win the title that first season back in the top league before winning the two successive european cups...

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.