The Peterloo Massacre, 16th August 1819 - 200th Anniversary

• Thread starter Deleted member 77198
  • Start date
Don't forget the Co-Op ..... established in Rochdale / Royton IIRC
Toad Lane, Rochdale, to be exact. My first job was with the Co-op Bank.
Myself and 2 colleagues were working in a Rochdale Tax office in the mid 70s (we were from Internal Audit), and our junior asked us if there was a Co-op in Rochdale. When we'd finished laughing, we told her of the Co-op's history, and that the local shop was next door! She was very bright, ("O" and "A" levels galore) but could get lost leaving her desk to go to the toilet.

15 that were killed:

The first victim was William Fildes from Kennedy Street in Manchester - a two-year-old boy who was knocked from his mother’s arms and trampled by a horse on Cooper Street.

John Rhodes was fatally injured by ‘sabre wounds’ to the head.

Sarah Jones, a mum-of-seven from Silk Street, Salford, was ‘severely beaten on the head’ and died and William Dawson was ‘sabred and crushed’. His brother, Edmund Dawson, was also killed by sabre wounds.

Margaret Downes, from Manchester, is said to have been cut down by a yeomanry sabre. John Lees, a former soldier from Oldham, died of sabre wounds and was also ‘bludgeoned by constables with truncheons’. Thomas Buckley, from Chadderton, was bayonetted and Arthur Neil died of internal injuries caused by beating.

John Ashton is said to have been sabred and trampled. His son, Samuel, received 20 shillings after an inquest jury recorded a verdict of accidental death, the records show.

Both Mary Heys and James Crompton died after being trampled by horses and Martha Partington, from Eccles, suffocated after she was pushed down steps into a cellar on Bridge Street.

William Bradshaw was killed by a shot from a military musket and Joshua Hyde was also shot.

Last edited by a moderator:
I watched the 2018 film at the New Zealand International Film Festival in Auckland on Friday morning. Probably about 200 people there, presumably mostly Kiwis, at 10.45 during the day. Round of applause at the end - first time I’ve heard that at a film for ages. Found the final/massacre sequence amazingly well done and very affecting, which was obviously the point.

Always go to the memorial every year for the last decade and normally @Mad Eyed Screamer sticks reminder on most years.

Turn out last year was great and the memorial should be ready for the 16th, maxine peak, normally reads the masque of anarchy or has some other involvement and christopher eccleston and jon henshaw turn up most years if they can.

The marches and banner last year were top

Indeed.

The Labour movement, as a result of what was protested about at Peter’s Field in 1819, started in Manchester.

Manchesterism/Manchester Liberlism/Manchester Capitalism, where Manchesterites promoted Free Trade as a way to a fairer and more equitable society, as well as pacifism, anti-slavery, freedom of press and the separation of church and state, started in Manchester.

The first trade unions bringing together workers of different trades into one organisation were founded as the Philanthropic Society and the General Union Of Trades, were founded in Manchester.

Marx and Engels came up with the ideas for Communism in Manchester as a result of seeing worker’s living conditions and spending time with workers and hearing their ideas for labour, citizenship and politics.

A statue and plaque of Abraham Lincoln was dedicated to the city because of the strikes by cotton mill workers in favour of the abolition of the Atlantic Slave Trade.

All at a time when Manchester was at the apex of the world’s industrialisation.

What a city we live in! Important on a world stage in politics, business and social organisation.

Everyone should visit the peoples history museum and read some books on this, schools should deffinately all go on trip to the PHM and learn this stuff, proud history of manchester is not celebrated and taught often enough.

Everyone should visit the peoples history museum and read some books on this, schools should deffinately all go on trip to the PHM and learn this stuff, proud history of manchester is not celebrated and taught often enough.
There are lots of documentaries on all sorts of shite on tele. A lot of content about America, across many different aspects of American life/business/politics/history, almost all of which I couldn’t give a shit about. But hardly any content about the historical importance of all these events and movements that started in Manchester. Or other cities and their historical events and movements, from this country.

An important milestone on the road to universal suffrage, which was finally achieved in 1928 in this country.

And how easily we've allowed the power of that vote to be diluted by successive governments, handing over the powers of the British people to the European Union.

The laws that affect us should be made by people who are directly accountable to us.

I think the people demonstrating at Peterloo two centuries ago would have understood that sentiment.

An important milestone on the road to universal suffrage, which was finally achieved in 1928 in this country.

And how easily we've allowed the power of that vote to be diluted by successive governments, handing over the powers of the British people to the European Union.

The laws that affect us should be made by people who are directly accountable to us.

I think the people demonstrating at Peterloo two centuries ago would have understood that sentiment.

Yeah them working folks in post napolionic war times, were in no way inspired by thomas paines writings inspired by the ideas of equality bourne out of the french revolution and the american war of independance.

Those that repressed them are the same kind of wankers we have in power now.

I think your analogy that the marchers would be anti-europeann is wrong.

But that is your choice, and I respect that as we all have our own opinions
Such soviegn control of our opinions and actions has been a several centries long tradition in this international, mutli-cultural British Isles.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.